Tube goose call questions

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by CJ MN Waterfowl, Jan 9, 2020.

1. CJ MN Waterfowl

CJ MN Waterfowl Refuge Member

In the recent Wildfowler magazine,I read where Sean Mann is helping David Coleman make Canada Goose tube calls. Sean will be selling them very soon.
    I have a K&Hale,but can't get the hang of it.
    Does anyone know of a video or can explain some ways on how to use this call?
    Thanks for your time and help

2. Jason Kingery

Jason Kingery Senior Refuge Member

I believe they are already available. I’ve only ever used a Turkey tube call. Tickled my lip a lot. Lol

J

3. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

If it tickles your lip, you need to apply more pressure on your lip to the diaphragm.

Jason Kingery likes this.
  4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Proper tension is the key. Too tight, and it squeaks. Too little, and it won't break to the higher note. put the diaphragm on over half of the call. Have equal tension over the entire diaphragm. Pull the back portion of the diaphragm slightly to create a half moon configuration of the diaphragm over the small end of the call. Put your upper lip on the outside,top, portion of the call. put your lower lip across the diaphragm. Do NOT puff your cheeks. It only takes as much air to make the call work as it does to blow out a paper match. Purse your lips, and let the air pass slowly across the edge of the diaphragm. When you produce a low note, then move your lower lip up quickly to cut off the airflow, which will produce a squeak, or the high note. There are NO shortcuts. Practice makes perfect. Every sound a Canada goose makes is derived from the single honk. They can not be produced until you master the single honk!!!

Backwards bleed likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

A IDNR friend had a K&H Tube Goose call, he said he was still playing around w/it But MAN did it sound great! Didn't one of those guys compete in the Worlds @ Maryland back in the day?

6. CJ MN Waterfowl

CJ MN Waterfowl Refuge Member

I think Harold Knight did win the world championship in 1979.
    David Coleman has won in 1982,2015 2016,2017, I'm not sure if it's the World Championship or Live goose Championship.

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I actually got to sit in a blind in Centreville, MD with David Coleman, Harold Knight and David Hale blowing tube calls in the early 80's. Most realistic goose sounds I have ever heard and the geese were mesmerized that day. I still have my K&H tube call I bought right after that hunt.

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

The more recent wins were in the Live Goose, but the other two you mentioned were in the actual world.

9. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

First of all you need to know what thickness of latex that you are using. U use thinner latex for snows and specks. Harold knight sold 3 different weights of latex reeds. There was extra heavy (my choice for central flyway canadas) and heavy also for canadas.
    Your lower lip contacts the reed only. The upper lip rests on top of the call. If both lips contact the reed it will not work properly. The reed will make your lip bleed even if you are calling correctly. This happens when you call alot! Yor lip will get tougher and it will get better, but if your callen hard your lip will blister and bleed! If the reed is tickling your lip you are not pushing it hard enough into the reed. You also need to vary the placement of your lip from anywhere between the middle of the reed to the bottom edge of the reed depending on what sound you are trying to duplicate. Most guys have the latex stretched too tight. I always run a small divot in the middle, at the bottom of the latex (for Canada extra heavy) heavy reed I set semi tight with no divot. Second, do not have the latex stretched straight across the opening of the call. It must be somewhat u shaped to work properly. Also I run the latex covering 2/3 to 1/2 the call for canadas depending on reed thickness and covering approximately 1/3 for snows and specks.
    You must be able to break over your diaphragm or the call will not work. You growl low into the call for low tones and break your diaphragm for the honk. You must modulate your voice through your diaphragm to make different sounds. You will find that back pressure is not a huge factor in using the tube calls. Hand modulation is a big factor, even more so than it is for short reed calling. It takes tons of practice and most guys never learned how to blow them. Short reed calls are super easy to learn compared to tube calls.
    I have been using different colors of latex now because I dont remember what mm thickness the reeds were that I use to buy from knight and hale. You are going to have to tinker to figure out what thickness you need for your self.
    Tubes are still the most deadly finishing call on days with 10 or less mph wind. That being said, the short reeds are the call of my choice to get their attention from a distance or to turn them back around with a backwards bleed. What's a backwards bleed? It's what everyone now calls a break over spit note.
    I refuse to call it that! The first pioneers in cut down olt, and short reed calls, including Tim Grounds called it a backwards bleed. IMO No short reed callers that came after them, have the right to change that name.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    bullpinnie and drahthaarducker like this.
  10. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

Also btw. Most guys dont know that Harold Knight actually won the world with latex stretched over a pill bottle! That's right, a pill bottle! Everyone can get their hands on one of those, latex, and rubber bands. Go make yourself a call and play around!

bullpinnie and drahthaarducker like this.