Tuckerton

Discussion in 'New Jersey Flyway Forum' started by jerseyhunter, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jerseyhunter

jerseyhunter Senior Refuge Member

Took a day off. Sunny/a bit of North wind, about 30. Tide all the way out with full moon. Walk in hunt for me and I walked and set up decoys I keep in back pack.
    Plenty of Blacks and mallards seen, a few missed. Got stuck in the tuckerton mud at one time. Set up on a one of larger creeks, had some blacks land 100 yards away. They were coming toward decoys till a boat scattered them. Fun day, better then working.

Curt Gibson, Marshbum and NovaJoe like this.
  2. NovaJoe

NovaJoe New Member

I’m an old(ish) hunter but recently decided to risk my marriage and expendable cash reserve to take up waterfowling. Your Tuckerton post got me inspired to drive down from Columbus and scout around. Nice area. Love to get as remote as possible. Bought me a 14’ Lowe semi that is my project duck boat for next year. Thanks for some inspiration. I’ve heard about Tuckerton from others.

3. jerseyhunter

14 footer should be enough for most days unless its crazy wind. One can get plenty lost without being lost in Great Bay or Barnaget Bay.
    Since your up near Delaware the Gap area by worthington forest and up north up the river can be productive also. Used to know someone with a boat and we would get out to one of the islands, set up decoys and see what happened. Plenty of Geese and a few ducks.
    Good luck

4. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Great to see you still out there jerseyhunter! I know how you love to see those blackies!

5. jerseyhunter

Marsh,
    Yes on the Blackies although this past Saturday I was out with oldest son and it got so foggy in afternoon we could not see better then 20 yards. Had ducks coming out of nowhere all around was a wild afternoon of blacks and buffies. Needed a compass to get back to road, lucky we know the area so well by now we were able to get back from the mile plus walk out without a problem. Boaters i am sure had a bigger problem. Hope all is well with you. Last day is Friday, will take off and see what happens with middle son.

6. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Good deal! Had a similar day earlier this year that involved a 2+ mile ride across open water (our bay is much bigger than yours :) ) Thank gawd for cell phones with google maps!

P1040515.JPG

7. jerseyhunter

Nice boats, glad you made it back and yea technology is amazing at times.