Tundra Swans

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Jethro48, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Im looking for a little more information about Tundra Swan Lottery. I see that you have to put in by the 14th and that they are allocating 2700 permits. But doesnt mention what price of permit is. Im also wondering if time we will be there will be to early or late. Just trying to figure out if its worth me putting in for or just ne a waste of money! Ill be up there for about 13 or 14 days from end of October till November 9th is day we leave i believe . We have a farm house rented in Melville. I know everything varies with weather obviously and affecting migrations accordingly. Any help and inputs much appreciated and thank you in advance!

2. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

Well Jethro, it will cost you $30 to put in for a permit. Price keeps going up, was $20 a while back. Runs along with regular waterfowl season. Can pretty well guarantee that if you don't have a permit, the opportunity to take a swan will happen.

3. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

I would think once you start to apply on the GnF website it would show the price. Late Oct/Early Nov is usually pretty peak for swan migration in ND...

Jethro48 likes this.
  4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

The application price is the price and you will definitely draw one and your timeline is right at there peak so finding one should not be tough. They readily decoy if you put a couple Swan decoys out or even a couple of white Goose floaters or something along that lines and they are a blast to hunt. They are most definitely not the brightest bird ever created but they do make a hell of a splash.

Jethro48 and PorkChop like this.
  5. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Thanks guys but apparently im going to be to late getting it in got side tracked and forgot about it till just now! I hadnt bought my license yet and its to late to get it ito bank now tp pay for it all unfortunately

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

You will be able to buy one here in a couple weeks.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

spot on advice there. Went 1 year with no tag and coulda killed 100 of them. Went the next year with a tag, no chance to kill one. No tag the 3rd year and coulda shot 2 or 3. :doh

8. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Im confused cause i thought deadline to get one was the 14th is what dnr web site said! So do they go on sale after they fill the lottery numbers if theres not many applicants

9. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yes there is typically plenty of leftovers. That’s how I usually get mine because I always forget.

Dean Nelson and Jethro48 like this.
  10. Jethro48

Jethro48 Refuge Member

Ok awesome guys i thought i was screwed on getting a tag didnt realize that they sold them after the lottery! How mucj are they when you just purchase one?