Tundra V8's going bye bye

da grouch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have 4x4 but for some reason, I pride myself in never using, I wouldn't want to wear it out :doh. Also, if you live in around mass excavating projects, its a sense of pride for me to keep the rig clean in my mind(this means your working like a gentleman/not tearing the place up.) For the longest time the company trucks were 4x2 and those bosses did a great job, now the young guys demolish the 4x4's and site work just because they can. I avoid mud at all costs and have experience to know better than to drive through what most due for fun. I enjoy a clean oil change and a clean driveway. As far as ducks go my roads lead to boat ramps so thats ok, but would rather have to run four low through mud to get bag limits like most of you all, it's just not in my cards, presently, long game will get me there.

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My daily driver is a ‘97 Tacoma with 3.4v6. 300,000 miles, just put a clutch master cylinder and both o2 sensors. Easy jobs, well worth the money. I’m the only farmer within probably a 50 mile radius who’s content without driving a new AT4, Platinum, Superduty or Duramax. They see me rollin.

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I liked my 83 and 85 toy 4wd.

Can’t believe the new truck has no tow hooks. Lead engineer said it’s more of a lifestyle vehicle than work truck. They know their market.
It’s not the same as it was in 1985. If you ask me I think Toyota has been resting on it’s laurels quite a while now. Plus I know govt regs here tie the manufacturers hands.
I was watching some stuff on the coming lithium ion battery disposal problems.
They were talking about how difficult and expensive it is to recycle the batteries and cars. They were saying how industry needs to change to make things more recyclable etc.
I was thinking: “DONT MAKE DISPOSABLE CHEAP PRODUCTS IN THE FIRST GD PLACE!”
There’s no reason they couldn’t make vehicles that stay on the road indefinitely with periodic maintenance and parts replacement.
Plastic crap.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I liked my 83 and 85 toy 4wd.

Can’t believe the new truck has no tow hooks. Lead engineer said it’s more of a lifestyle vehicle than work truck. They know their market.
It’s not the same as it was in 1985. If you ask me I think Toyota has been resting on it’s laurels quite a while now. Plus I know govt regs here tie the manufacturers hands.
I was watching some stuff on the coming lithium ion battery disposal problems.
They were talking about how difficult and expensive it is to recycle the batteries and cars. They were saying how industry needs to change to make things more recyclable etc.
I was thinking: “DONT MAKE DISPOSABLE CHEAP PRODUCTS IN THE FIRST GD PLACE!”
There’s no reason they couldn’t make vehicles that stay on the road indefinitely with periodic maintenance and parts replacement.
Plastic crap.

My 5.7 has 367000 miles on it. “Resting on its laurels”? Na. Toyota still makes reliable products. Just keep the oil changed.

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My 5.7 has 367000 miles on it. “Resting on its laurels”? Na. Toyota still makes reliable products. Just keep the oil changed.
Well now a Camry 3.5 in the taco and I guess new Tundra or a turbo v6?
The taco drivetrain sucks imo-it’s not a truck motor and they are made in Mexico?
My 00 4Runner daily is waaay more solid than the taco. The taco feels nothing like nor is built half as solid as the 80’s HILUX.
Tons of plastic-cheeseball plastic all over it driving position sucks you hit the gas and wait a few minutes as the vehicle decides what to do.
They have been selling midsized trucks based on reputation for so long now.
I dunno why they wouldn’t keep the 4.0 ditch the plastic fascia junk make steel bumpers an option supply steel skid plates fix the goofy driving position fix the delay in the fly by wire system go back to a manual transfer case and manual hubs if the customer wanted….
Ok ok if you forced me to buy one I’d buy the little stripped down 4wd with the 2.7.
To me that’s a Toyota.
How come they don’t offer a 70 series land cruiser here?
How come the land cruiser turned into a luxury on road monstrosity?
Why don’t they offer us a more utility based hilux instead of taco?
Instead they offer TRD PRO badging and paint colors with a little lift?
Come on man.
This is a Toyota-notice how they proudly place the name on the grill?

55A12B8E-7C72-4077-837C-3774FCCE5EEB.jpeg

The stuff we get here is a different world.
Now they take a reliable v8 and switch to turbo hybrid.
I don’t need a rocket ship, just a truck with adequate power that’s well made and reliable.
FYI the 70 series is offered in other markets with an indestructible diesel power plant.
Where’s that for us?
Eh they give us some Atkinson cycle Camry motor in a truck with an open c channel frame that will probably rot out in no time!

Last edited:

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well now a Camry 3.5 in the taco and I guess new Tundra or a turbo v6?
The taco drivetrain sucks imo-it’s not a truck motor and they are made in Mexico?
My 00 4Runner daily is waaay more solid than the taco. The taco feels nothing like nor is built half as solid as the 80’s HILUX.
Tons of plastic-cheeseball plastic all over it driving position sucks you hit the gas and wait a few minutes as the vehicle decides what to do.
They have been selling midsized trucks based on reputation for so long now.
I dunno why they wouldn’t keep the 4.0 ditch the plastic fascia junk make steel bumpers an option supply steel skid plates fix the goofy driving position fix the delay in the fly by wire system go back to a manual transfer case and manual hubs if the customer wanted….
Ok ok if you forced me to buy one I’d buy the little stripped down 4wd with the 2.7.
To me that’s a Toyota.
How come they don’t offer a 70 series land cruiser here?
How come the land cruiser turned into a luxury on road monstrosity?
Why don’t they offer us a more utility based hilux instead of taco?
Instead they offer TRD PRO badging and paint colors with a little lift?
Come on man.
This is a Toyota-notice how they proudly place the name on the grill?

View attachment 339206

The stuff we get here is a different world.
Now they take a reliable v8 and switch to turbo hybrid.
I don’t need a rocket ship, just a truck with adequate power that’s well made and reliable.
FYI the 70 series is offered in other markets with an indestructible diesel power plant.
Where’s that for us?
Eh they give us some Atkinson cycle Camry motor in a truck with an open c channel frame that will probably rot out in no time!
Yes, I too think the new Tacos blow. But ~14ish years for the 5.7 without any significant changes is something to be proud of. Toyota is not offering their good vehicles in America, because the American government has made it an absolute nightmare for them. Don’t blame a hamstrung manufacturer, blame the imbeciles we elect.

There’s currently a fleet of 5 variations of Toyotas at my house. They have their problems, but overall, the manufacturer makes decent products. The Taco is my nephews.

C6262A57-AF18-4CBB-A12B-0CFCB5CD4529.jpeg

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, I too think the new Tacos blow. But ~14ish years for the 5.7 without any significant changes is something to be proud of. Toyota is not offering their good vehicles in America, because the American government has made it an absolute nightmare for them. Don’t blame a hamstrung manufacturer, blame the imbeciles we elect.

There’s currently a fleet of 5 variations of Toyotas at my house. They have their problems, but overall, the manufacturer makes decent products. The Taco is my nephews.

View attachment 339225
Aren’t the majority of the government issues California regs?

grahler

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
There’s currently a fleet of 5 variations of Toyotas at my house
I’m just angry at what people continue buying overall lately not just trucks but in general.
I have always gone with used Toyotas because I’m cheap and I’ve always had great luck.
I only buy well maintained and always keep them maintained.
This is the first time in quite a while I look at the lineup and say I doubt I’d buy any of their offerings.
I like the circa 2003 Tundra the one with the 4.7 v8. I like the size the looks…
Good clean lookin truck in basic sr5 trim imo.
For my next vehicle I’d strongly consider a Jeep a basic sport trim Jeep because what the heck.
I think my Toyota ship has sailed.
Look at that 4Runner front end! What is that ?!
(I bet I’ve offended every Toy owner lol)
Oh well just how I feel having owned several hilux-the truck that built the rep.