Turkey Umbrella

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Burm, Apr 7, 2021.

1. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

It is against the law in Michigan.

Years ago I build an addition for an ER Doc out of Richmond Va on Lake Michigan. He said he hated turkey season as he got tired of picking shot out of turkey hunters. This was long before this stupid idea came about.

2. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

I got 2 toms that I've haven't killed either of in 2 years , always in the middle of the same field.
    Drove by the other morning , and sure enough 2 toms by themselves in the middle . They will gobble and strut and hang up . Just maddening.
    I got a 2 yo 2 years ago when a gang of 5 decided to pick a fight, 3 fought 2 ,and the other 2 came running , game over.
    It's kinda gotten to be a quest to kill one of them , I've thought about it ,but just can't bring myself to do it . I just look at as they won that battle.
    One of these days I'm going to say the right thing !

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Are you guys aware Alabama has outlawed reaping beginning next season? Good for 'Bama. Decoys are still to be legal in 2022 , but only after first ten days of the season, but must be stationary to the ground during a hunt.

Luigi Daniele, Jawbreaker and nobands like this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I think the first time I did it was '03. Have to admit it was a hell of a rush, and then I felt like I'd thrown a rock through a church window. I did it for my son on his last youth hunt and explained it would only happen once. Last season a close friend said it wouldn't work on his turkeys. He was in a bit of a slump anyway after missing a bird, so I broke it out. Bird ran in, and my buddy flubbed the shot. He said, "they bird will never make that mistake again." We saw him five days later, and I shot him at 20 yards on a dead run as he came to kick my azz. It should be outlawed.

5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Reaping is gay.

6. Close Shot

Close Shot Senior Refuge Member

I did see a cool video somewhere, maybe it was on this site where a guy reaped on a Jake and grabbed its legs. Then he let it go. That is my kind of reaping.

7. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

When I started turkey hunting in the late 80's the rules, not the law, were: no tom decoys, no gobbling when calling, and no sneaking on a bird. I really believe they are good rules to hunt by, but I have broken them all thru the years and had success doing so. Years ago there were lots of hunting accidents during turkey season compared to other forms of hunting. I don't know it that is still the case or not.

bill cooksey and Luigi Daniele like this.
  8. Burm

Burm Senior Refuge Member

Super interesting feedback and gotta admit the experiences shared are quite different than what I expected. I thought that when it worked it was more of an exception, and that birds would run away from it most times. Good perspective, I really appreciate it. If anything my desire to use it has dulled - which I don't take as a bad thing. If it takes away from the "fair chase" aspect of the experience, then it doesn't seem worth it just to put a bird in the freezer. And the safety concerns are spot on, even on private ground. You just never know. That X ray is a sobering picture.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

One way or the other, your hunt will be over in a hurry. There's definitely nothing fair about it. As I've said, it's a rush when a turkey is literally coming to kick your azz, but it leaves you pretty hollow.

10. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

I could never do it ,I would be laughing to much.