Turkeys - First time in Idaho

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by jolle, Apr 6, 2021.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

My brother and I are in the final stages of planning out an Idaho turkey hunt in late May this spring. He moved to southeast WA a few years back and while he's there I'm taking advantage by getting in as many bucket-list trips as I can. One being a scenic turkey hunt for Merriam's, and our research is telling us many birds can be had in western Idaho from the WA border into the Clearwater national forest. Sounds like with enough windshield time and boot leather, finding some shouldn't be too difficult. A primary goal is hitting low to medium pressure areas, but that also has decent bird numbers. This is one reason we're looking at Idaho over NE WA, as it sounds less pressured.

We're in our 30's in good shape to hike, and have hunted eastern gobblers all our lives in our home state of MO. He's tried a few times near his home in Richland, WA with low success. He's gone into Idaho camping a few times, but doesn't have much familiarity with any area.

Any words of wisdom or general starting points (PM me if desired)? How much concern should we have with cougars/bears walking into the woods in the dark? I'm assuming some caution is needed but likely low risk, but we have zero risk here in MO so it's a new element.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I hunted turkeys a handfull of years, switched to spring bear hunting instead,.. So I cant help you much

3. mtncntrykid

mtncntrykid Refuge Member

Your biggest obstacle is private land and permissions. Public land will have pressure. With that said, it can be done. Good luck!

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys. Figuring that public land birds will be pressured, especially that late in season. I'm certainly used to that when hunting public in the midwest. And we will ask permission on private if we spot birds. Also hoping that some of what I've read comes true that birds move uphill in late season as the snow melts, and perhaps that puts more on the public national forest and BLM properties.