Twenty miles.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I aint going to give up but right now I'm about positive my 2 places have 1 mature bird and 5 Jake's.
I won't kill a Jake, had several opportunities so far and may not pull the trigger on him even if he makes a mistake.
I knew we were down , but not this far !!
Looking like I won't get to make it over to the kids place , so I'm probably just hunting for the hell of it .

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard one gobble this morning way off. Went over there this afternoon and found the biggest gobbler track I've ever seen. That's where I'm going in the morning.

rodney747

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Think my season is over only hunted a few days took a swan dive off my tailgate Friday getting some stuff out of my truck. Daughter and buddy got me to the ER and have some broken ribs. Who knew they would hurt this much. Good luck thanks for the bird pics
Hope you heal quickly. Ribs are gonna hurt. Can't laugh, sneeze, cough, basically anything. Your gobbler will just be bigger next season. And you WILL get him!!

rodney747

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nailed him this afternoon. 8" beard, 1 1/8" longest spur. Very strong winds making it tough!

Attachments

• 6B1C4C11-3D94-4010-B997-D5A66B6EA893.jpeg
    6B1C4C11-3D94-4010-B997-D5A66B6EA893.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 9

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Congratulations That' s great man nice bird too. Looks like a nice clean kill too,bet he didn't flop much!!! I think I've only shot one that close once.
He was almost too close. I had my gun pointed at 12 and he came in at 3 so I had to move with him at 15 yds. I waited til his head was behind a 3 inch magnolia but he saw me and froze so I had to wait him out. He went into strut and came right at me. 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I'm happy because if he'd been a jake I would have still shot after this season.

He flopped a lot even though I almost took his head off. They are just a bundle of nerves I guess.

WOODIE13

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
He was almost too close. I had my gun pointed at 12 and he came in at 3 so I had to move with him at 15 yds. I waited til his head was behind a 3 inch magnolia but he saw me and froze so I had to wait him out. He went into strut and came right at me. 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I'm happy because if he'd been a jake I would have still shot after this season.

He flopped a lot even though I almost took his head off. They are just a bundle of nerves I guess.
Hate those close birds.

Congrats brother

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got to the point that I had to go, ribs or not. They are getting better by the day. Wednesday just hens one strutting at a hen decoy, yesterday gobbler with 3 hens chasing pigeons for and hour in the field. today i put my sons birthday present out so its used . He came from the woods behind me following 4 hens at 15 yards saw the deke and ran to it . I probably should have waited a bit but when he stopped I shot him. 7/8 spurs and 10.25 beard only 16.0 pounds. First bird of the year 3 more to go, taking my daughter out tomorrow
1653070316441.png

1653070365822.png

Latest posts