UK/British Lab

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by KingoftheCattails, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

C'mon man --- I'm sure you know what I meant,
    if not, then get real.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

"C'mon man" I know you wrote what you wrote.

3. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Senior Refuge Member

How many of you own and British Lab and any recommendations on keeping um from breaking while hunting? And do you use an e collar at all even in upland hunts?

I've never had anything but British Labs, and never used an e collar either.;) When I was living in Wales it's use would have been unlawful anyway. I could have walked over the hill and into England, but didn't feel the need.

Not wanting to be a smart arse, but you train them not to break by training them not to break; an e-collar is not neccessary, but a training regime that demands and inculcates good habits, is.

I also don't get the popping at 30 yards thing at all. Dogs pop in my experience through faulty training and messing with their impulsion on the outrun. I see the problem often enough, and cordially hate it, but it isn't exclusive to Labs even British ones. Often enough it comes from a lack of confidence, and that's a training fault too.

Eugene

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM
  4. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Senior Refuge Member

An old movie from The Scottish Borders .... steadiness without being robotic about it, under some fair old temptation and pressure. No collar.

As has been said, more ways of skinning a cat than pulling it through the keyhole on a piece of string.:)

Eugene

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 5:18 PM