Um,,,...rainin up in the der

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Guthook, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Nearly all the corn will be out by September 25. Our climate down here, is alot different that northern or western MO. We should be a different state.

WuChang likes this.
  2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

3. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

The vast majority of the rain has been along I-80, and below.

4. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Elite Refuge Member

It’s funny. I try to explain to people that the southeast corner of the state is only an hour away from Memphis, TN and the northwest corner is only an hour away from Omaha, NE. And you get a little bit of everything in between.

Truman and hunting1 like this.
  5. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

Water stayed out of our cabin and buildings. We are going to keep the water and pocket the pumping money. 8E693200-EDB7-465B-A759-776BEA3C32DD.jpeg 86A82885-D8D7-435F-8ECD-908A224172BC.jpeg 407298C0-6A8D-4161-851A-6DE12891F6CC.jpeg

Riverfisher, jolle, Truman and 2 others like this.
  6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

On the bright side Mack you get free water AND your levees apparently are in-tact as you appear to be holding!!!!

Let’s hope for lot’s of Mallards on multiple cold fronts this year vs the massive migration with extremely intermittent (almost non-existent) migrations to follow! Would be nice to have progressive cold fronts with mini-migrations accompanying each.

As always mama nature will dictate

7. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Mack, I'm interested in understanding this strategy since it's not too late to get millet in. My personal experience from hunting both public and managed private marshes is that years where units don't have food but have water are not nearly as productive from a numbers perspective. The open water can be great on flight days but they clear out fast. Loaf hunts can be OK too but again, just not as consistent as when they're feeding in the unit overnight.

I am by no means saying anything is right or wrong I am just interested in how people do things. Cheers

8. Mack Molloy

It is clearly economics…we can save $3-4K in pumping cost. Our club is surrounded by thousands of acres of corn and we get a lot of ducks coming back from feeding. Another factor, since our tillable acres are in WRP, by regulation we can only plant 5%, which totals 4-5 acres. If we have a hot summer, a couple of the units will likely dry and we will have smartweed and wild millet with our moist soil management. Our management plan is to hold water if it floods near July 1st in our WRP units and October 1st in our timber units. Every year is a different adventure.

Truman likes this.
  9. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Great info - WRP changes the chess match to be sure and yep, doesn’t take all that long for hot sun and wind to burn off 18 inches of water!

10. Mack Molloy

58612D4D-70EC-49E1-8362-5338212CAA66.jpeg Stacy Singleton took these photos of the Chariton River dumping into the Missouri River…never saw waves on a River, especially 3-4’ tall. Northeast Missouri had 10”+ of rain 6670793E-4F99-4FFA-8551-934D9A7A511D.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021