Union C0. Today

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by howard s., Dec 14, 2020.

1. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Please post here if you hunt there some day.

2. mikek55

mikek55 Senior Refuge Member

Anybody hunt today?

3. duck_killer00

duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

Yep....how much money you got

BJH and Skycarp33 like this.
  4. mikek55

Not enough

5. ringneck5499

ringneck5499 Senior Refuge Member

I had a permit for today but didn't feel it was worth going for 20th pick. Got skunked where I went instead, saved $10 at least.

6. rism

rism Elite Refuge Member

Sad Sad Sad state of affairs. I think it boils down to the site Supt. and what he wants to accomplish. If he is a hunter and wants the hunters to kill ducks (geese, deer, squirrels, whatever). Then that site will be ready to go. (AKA MudDuk !!). If he (she) is not a hunter, STRICTLY A POLITICAL APPOINTEE and doesn't care then the site will be basically worthless. THAT IS HOW IT WORKS SORRY TO SAY. I know of two areas personally that the site Supt. is in charge of two areas. They have CHILDREN running the off site. I stopped to ask a question of one of them one morning after hunting. She was out raking leaves to make it beautiful. I asked how I could get a hold of the site Supt. She said he wasn't "available". She said she was in charge most days. I asked her why the gate wasn't open to let more water in the hunting area. She said she didn't know anything about that. I asked her how old she was "18" was the reply then she got snotty. Said I had no business asking her things like that. I tried to politely tell her my taxes were paying her salary. Gave her my business card and told her to give it to her boss and have him call me if he had a problem. Haven't heard from anyone since.

7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Well, I can be pissy as well.
    Everyone has their off days, including me.

With that being said, thank you Ric.
    I do, albeit maybe not as much as when I was younger, prided myself on my work ethic. The older I get, the more I come to terms with the bureaucracy of my employer and, well....

Budgets, staffing and all that other hoopla does indeed come into play, it's just a matter of how much people can work with what their given and how much they're willing to give in return.

ARHHH4 and riverrat47 like this.
  8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Mud, speaking for myself, I pulled the plug several years before I intended to, due to frustration with bureaucracy, lack of help, budget uncertainties, etc. IMHO, it started with blago and hasn't improved much in the ensuing years. My feeling is that blago set the agency back at least 60 years, maybe more.
    Ric, if I were that young lady, I wouldn't give your card to my boss. You were obviously not happy with what she was doing and lack of knowledge, so why let the boss know? If she does have political pull, there may not be much her boss could do about her anyway.

9. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller Refuge Member

There comes a time when it is simply not worth going. There are not alot of hunters coming up through the ranks. If the ones who hunt there decide it is not worth the hassle and their numbers fall then so do jobs, etc. No standby draw equals 8 permit holders per day. How can you justify more than two people "working" there when 15 hunters are showing up? And the ones that are there are not working. That is not work. Everybody here that has hunted there has seen it. If you want to see it show up at the draw building anywhere from 5:45 a.m. to 10:00. Good luck finding a chair.

ringneck5499 likes this.
  10. mikek55

I heard they only shot 19 birds 14 parties for the youth hunt doesn’t sound to good