Union County

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Gadwall King, Oct 6, 2020.

1. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

gad king thanx for the new map does anybody have the new horseshoe map it would be greatly appriciated and much studied. after the above post my grandson has 2 permits right after xmas but just got word his college football starts then and i'll still stand with what i said because 4 guys don't get to hunt.

2. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Senior Refuge Member

Guys, we’re missing the point here. What I think is going to happen is they went from 35 to 23 spots. After covid is over I do not believe they will go back to 35. Someone spent a lot of time painting a new sign. Everyone knows hunting opportunities are limited and in my opinion they built parking lots, Springfield handles the draw, there will not be a standby draw, and if you do not have a permit your done. It’s great Mudduck and his crew helped them out. BUT several hunters have offered to help them brush blinds, help them build blinds and even offer to pay for the materials! There were 10 steel pits sent down there and it cost them nothing. When the politicians and the news media get involved I bet the person making changes at this area who has had 35 hunting spots for over 50 years goes back to the way it was. They should know the hunters will band together and fight major long-term changes. Again not an issue for this year I completely understand and appreciate the opportunity to hunt. But everyone needs to ask what the plan is for next season. Hard questions need to be asked. People making the decisions need to have to justify those. They are not going to be able to hide behind desks and computers on this one. There are too many people who have connections higher up than the site superintendent and the regional land manager. Let’s see who wants to change the menu in the kitchen when the heat gets turned up. I hope I am wrong on this and it’s a one year thing. I do not believe I am.

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The Illinois Dept of Conservation was once the leader in conservation. Illinois would do it whatever it is and the other 49 followed suit.
    I just don't see this state getting to that level of excellence ever again. We can wish.
    I volunteered too but I won't be posting pictures because it will be bad. Apparently they need these.
    1602238605821535832225552022693.jpg