Union County

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by High Ball Caller, Jan 7, 2021.

1. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller Refuge Member

A meeting is being organized of hunters who use the public hunting area in Union County. The meeting will take place in Anna on Wednesday, January 13 and will be available by conference call. More information can be found on Facebook at the Union County SFWA Hunters' page. The purpose of this meeting is to address changes that have been made to the site and to organize the hunters to address future changes.

2. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

I do not participate in the book of faces.
    If it is possible provide me a link to this conference call. I will be willing take part in this needed mission

3. High Ball Caller

The information will be posted here prior to the meeting.

4. yankeegray

Thank you. Hopefully we can get together and be useful Not just a bunch of complaints.

High Ball Caller likes this.
  5. rism

rism Elite Refuge Member

High Ball - if you want to get info out you better do something like put it on The Fuge, Illinois and U.S. I am also one that does not tweet or FB or any of that BS that is all fake anyway!!! I don't mean a notice about a meeting. I mean dates, locations, phone numbers, etc. Otherwise your turnout will be negligible. I agree w/what you are doing, You should see if the site manager can be there to give input and take abuse.

yankeegray likes this.
  6. thebiggrfigr

thebiggrfigr Senior Refuge Member

Wiw, did not know there were that many problems there but I did not hint there this year.

7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'd be curious to know what some of the concerns are prior to the meeting.

I know on this board that someone has mentioned that the drop in number of available blinds (35 to 23) are a concern and I'd agree.
    The "no stand by" rule, too.
    These two examples have nothing to do with managment, laziness and so on but with Covid, whether you, we, or I like it or not.

Some of you may recall that three of us spent three days there helping brush blinds in October. Lack of staff, many other things to do etc require either more staff or volunteers (pending Covid rules).

As a member of the public and yes, a tax payer, sometimes my attitude is "I am paying you for a service " at sites like Union....other times, I realize that without volunteering and "giving back ", some things just won't get done. Hence, I'd suggest people, and more than just a few, volunteer to help brush and fix blinds prior to the season.

The new "drive yourself " rule this year, from what I've seen, has actually worked rather well.
    The check in, when you drive up to the check station door, could go a little quicker.

Drew, who has done a heck of a job, has to give the same ol speal every morning to every group and God forbid some schmuck asks 100 questions then ie "what's a good blind?", "are there any ducks here", "do I need waders", "seeing any mallards or just sheeet ducks", etc etc.
    Shut the hell up, have your sheeet together, and move on. Or, a better idea, inquire BEFORE the day of the hunt.

I think the permit that you print out needs to not say "permit #" on it, but just "hunter position #", avoiding any confusion as to what your actual "position " in line is.
    Mentioning that it cost $10 per person would also be nice.
    Cluttering the permit with to much lingo and verbiage would only confuse people but a tad more info may help speed up the process in the morning, if people bother to read their permit.

Union county has meant a lot to me, and other than when I was in the service, have enjoyed going there (actually here right now) and has meant much to me and my sanity when I need to "get away ".
    Let's not be too demanding but understanding of what they have to work with yet by all means be vocal for changes that could make the place better, and not just for personal gain and selfish reasons, either.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Gander View and thebiggrfigr like this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Time should be taken now to address problems and most importantly proposed solutions, costs, and implementing them.
    To go into a meeting like that unarmed with just a list of gripes will accomplish nothing.
    Identify problems then propose solutions.
    Theyll listen to that especially if you have a sound logical argument with a valid premise.

9. yankeegray

Agree AB ran my department with a simple philosophy. Don’t come to me with a problem unless you have a answer or at least input. Hopefully this can be approach the same way.

10. High Ball Caller

The parking areas are working in some areas. In some areas they are not. What if you were a slightly disabled hunter and could not walk 500 yards to blind 7? Well I guess you could hunt blind 19 and your 70 yards from your truck. Or you hunt blind 12 or 14 your within 125 yards from your truck. The parking areas need to be tweeked. They should park for 12 and 14 at the railroad tracks. Blinds 16, 18, 19 will historically kill 300 ducks each season this year at my last count they had killed 4. Blinds 12, 13, and 14 will historically kill 300 ducks each season this year at my last count they had killed 25. 1) The parking areas are an issue. 2) Lack of water is an issue. They did not pump these spots. Why has 21 only killed 25 ducks this year? It is full of corn. There is no water. 3) People volunteered in the past to help brush the blinds and build blinds. This is being done at other IDNR sites. But the people who volunteered here were turned away and were given no option to help. This was before Covid. We are aware of IDNR sites where volunteers maintain, brush the blinds, and conduct the draw. But we cannot do anything at Union County. 4) There was 10 steel pits which were donated. Most of them are currently behind the barn at the refuge sitting on the ground. They have been at this site for almost a year. 5) There are no water holes in the refuge that are visible from the road, none. If a person wanted to drive through the refuge and look at a duck or goose there is no water for them to sit on. 6) They are not having a draw for the Firing Line and seem to have the same number of workers as they have in the past. In the past 30 days two different people have walked in the check station on workers who were sleeping after the draw. 7) There is not any consideration given to the views of the hunters using this site. Management is making decisions and people just have to deal with it. 8) You cannot call anyone down there to get any information. Mermet posts their daily kills for each blind on the internet. 9) No standby draw and this is a big concern for the future which ties in to the loss of blinds. 10) No moveups. 11) You have to quit hunting at noon and out by 12:30. At some spots this is impossible. When decisions are made by people who do not hunt this is what you get. When people who make the decisions do not listen to suggestions from the people they SERVE this is what you get. At the end of the day this is a public service. There are a large group of hunters who are coordinated and ready to stand together on this. A petition has been signed by 700 of them. The kill numbers at the end of the season will tell the true story. All this takes is management and hunters working together which was the way it was 10 years ago. Many of us have seen this unfold and we know way more than what we are saying at this time. I hope we do not have to tell a politician or the Director of IDNR everything we know. If we have too we will. We are not letting this go.

ringneck5499 likes this.