Union County

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by High Ball Caller, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

HBC, you make some valid points.

I know for a fact, a number of places weren't sure what was going to happen until the last minute in ref to check station procedures, tweaking things and so on.
    Covid definitely changed a few things.

One thing I dont much put stock in is the "slightly disabled " thing.
    Nobody is going to he happily accommodated all the time. Walking, wading, boating, chasing a cripple or even hauling out a 25 point 500 pound buck deer is all part of the game. Don't want to walk?...dont draw blind "x" then.
    Sometimes blood, sweat and tears, and how much effort you're willing to give comes into play.

Some of your other points, I cant, or feel I can accurately, comment on as I simply don't know.

With 2021 duck season well off into the future, now is the time to address the issues to hopefully fix problems that can be fixed.
    Perhaps I'll see you next Wednesday...I'll be the good looking guy in the camo ball cap.

yankeegray likes this.
  2. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller Refuge Member

MudDuk I respect your opinion. I can tell you we are going to try to not turn this meeting into a gripe fest. This will be handled as professionally as we can. I can also tell you there are ALOT of people who have had enough. These things have been brewing for along time. This all just did not happen because of Covid. IDNR has wanted the parking lots for awhile. I know the biologist has wanted rid of certain blinds. I know people at the site who hunt with their fathers, grandfathers, etc. They are not disabled but may be too old or have had surgeries to where all they can do is get to the blind, hunt and get back to the truck. This site has allowed their hunting careers to continue. In this case the other hunter puts out the decoys, does all the work, etc. For the record the disabled blind has killed four ducks or less this year and its another parking issue on top of the blind and there is not water there either. I understand Covid was/is a nightmare but we as hunters are not willing to make long term sacrifices because of it. They used Covid to get what they ultimately wanted. Anyone that has spent much time on the area knows there are issues. You cannot put a blind in the middle of a cut soybean field with only enough water to fill a swimming pool with or hunt within 100 yards of your truck and expect to kill ducks. You are correct now is the time to address it and that is exactly what were going to do because we need things to be right this time next year. Were not going to listen to budget issues because they still have the same number of people working there during hunting season, they no longer farm, they no longer have a draw at the Firing Line (they quit the up keep on the blinds there and have not brushed them in at least five years), they no longer have to take people to the fields or pick them up, collect licenses, and they do not have to check them out. Plus they do not spend time running pumps, opening valves, etc. But still same workforce (plus two employees on the payroll not even working), brand new truck, and leasing new tractors. The feel from the hunters is were just doing enough to get by. The only chance you have to kill much there is if you have a top 3 pick and it is a bad weather day. Their kill numbers will be presented at this meeting past and recent and they sure do not want us to talk about Horseshoe Lake in Alexander Counties' kill numbers this year. I anticipate 80 to 100 people participating in this meeting and I hope you are one of them. For those of us that have kids if we do not take a stand now they will not have a place to hunt in the future. That is why we are willing to take this as far as we have to go, politicians, the IDNR Director, and the news media if needed.

ringneck5499 and Il. MudDuk like this.
  3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Why not have the state reps and new people invited to come.

4. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Where and when

5. Il. MudDuk

HBC,
    If'n you dont mind, and via a private message is perfectly fine, what's your initials?...I'm having a reason I'm thinking I know you. Just curious. No public calling you out type deal.
    Jim.

6. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

From what I've heard in IL the whole systems hinders the biologists ability to make good changes. Each site has a site manager or something like that and they are sometime political appointees and don't know anything about natural resources. I know there are some good people working in the IDNR that want to make changes and can't because of the political bs.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. thebiggrfigr

thebiggrfigr Senior Refuge Member

If you could get people to take their trash with them and quit using the pits and blinds as a toliet, it would be a good start.

riverrat47 and Skycarp33 like this.
  8. QakQak73

QakQak73 Senior Refuge Member

I’ve been enjoying my popcorn reading this thread.

Just my opinion, but every state, board etc has some gripe with how their “Duck parks” are run. I’ll say this about Illinois....

There are far more opportunities to go out there and public hunt without a draw or state run facility than most states! On this thread alone, everyone complains about one certain area, which I totally GET! But, on the other hand within 50 miles there are also ample areas that are “public”. Now, are they consistent, harvest etc... maybe not. But opportunistic.

Again, I totally get the opinions/issues and do not disagree one bit, just wanted to mention the “opportunistic” refuges, state ground is unlike many other neighboring states!

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. Grossy23

Grossy23 Senior Refuge Member

Having “opportunities “ to hunt more public ground that is mismanaged is like having “opportunities “ to hunt a public parking lot. Ducks won’t be at either place.

ringneck5499 likes this.
  10. Il. MudDuk

How'd the latest meeting go?
    What local clubs attended and what was their opinions or concerns?
    Any other updates?