Union County

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by High Ball Caller, Jan 7, 2021.

1. High Ball Caller

High Ball Caller Refuge Member

The last meeting went well. We have had direct input from Lylerla Lake Farms, Treece Acres, Arrowhead, and McMahan Farms. Their main concern is no water on the refuge thus their resting areas are holding thousands of ducks. As you can imagine it does not take them long to eat all of their food. Ultimately it makes the ducks trade back and forth between the clubs and not much going to and from the refuge. At the end of April a small group of hunters/club owners are meeting with IDNR to discuss many things.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Water where, near the office, near the refuge entrance off rt 3 or ??
    There was water behind #28 and in front of #30 and I assume water between the office/shack and the club to the north.
    I didnt look at the Firing Line area .Anything south of the office/Mark's old house I thought was typically held dry for the most part, no?

3. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Senior Refuge Member

When you drove through the refuge the only water hole you could see was on the right coming from Jonesboro adjacent to Grassy Lake. That holds water year round. I drove through there at least 15 times and never saw a duck or a goose. There was no water anywhere on the main refuge except for the Firing Line, Barker, and Grassy Lake had some and that was about it. They didn’t pump a thing till right before season was over.

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I appreciate the reply but where "should've " been water where there typically had been before?

When I flew to help count geese and swans in Feb of '16, I seen water where I didn't know water existed but that was because I was in the air.

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had one good hunt at union County.
    The pit across from me were experienced. They shot the lead honker and the rest pretty much died to land by its body.

6. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Senior Refuge Member

There is an area south of refuge road by the windmill that always had water and held a lot of ducks = no water. A couple of small water holes West of there towards the visitors center = no water. The large water hole across from the visitors center = no water. A couple water holes in the curve by the turn going back to Barker Lake (the one with the well pump right next too it) and North of refuge road = no water. The levee at Barker Lake is cut so has to be less water. Other areas too that cannot be seen from the road like the turkey pen, etc. When the average person in the community who doesn’t even hunt drives through the refuge and questions why there isn’t any water. Then the club owners who helped install the water structures originally on the refuge and know where the water should be. There are water control structures on the refuge that the current IDNR employees do not even know about. When it’s the last few days of season and you hunt 21 and have to stomp a hole in the mud so you can put your pulsator in or when you can hunt 28 in a pair of knee boots or when you can play football in front of the handicap blind all season.

7. twelvegauge

twelvegauge Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion, in my 3 trips to Union County, there was a definite lack of adequate water.

thebiggrfigr and greenheadIL like this.