Update on Ducks/Geese in Manitoba

10ga.crazy

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Canada has already lost about 70% (by total number) of their resident waterfowl hunters over the past 25 years or so. Are there even 10K resident waterfowl hunters (not including natives) remaining in MB ??
Well looking at stats of Federal Migratory Permits it is less than 10% of what it was in the late 70's. 58,000 permits sold in all of CANADA as of 2021 down from a high of 600,000 in 1978-79. I would like to see the breakdown of permit sales. Hunters? Collectors? Not all are sold to hunters, there are stamp collectors who buy them each year too. I personally buy two each year, one to carry hunting and the other to put away with my collection. How many are sold to non-resident hunters? Probably a fair number. It would be interesting to see the percentages.

STUBBLE BUM

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well looking at stats of Federal Migratory Permits it is less than 10% of what it was in the late 70's. 58,000 permits sold in all of CANADA as of 2021 down from a high of 600,000 in 1978-79. I would like to see the breakdown of permit sales. Hunters? Collectors? Not all are sold to hunters, there are stamp collectors who buy them each year too. I personally buy two each year, one to carry hunting and the other to put away with my collection. How many are sold to non-resident hunters? Probably a fair number. It would be interesting to see the percentages.
That number is off Frank. Nearly that number are purchased in Ontario alone - I received this information below in December from Delta as it's important for us to know as most of our customers are waterfowlers

The decrease in waterfowl hunting permits sold across Canada in 2020 was expected to reverse course after pandemic-related travel restrictions were lifted.

In 2020, 169,631 waterfowling permits were sold across Canada, down considerably from the 182,974 sold in 2019. But Jim Fisher, director of Canadian conservation and hunting policy for Delta Waterfowl, who does an annual analysis of waterfowl permit sales, said although there was a decrease in sales, it’s due to American hunters not being allowed into Canada in 2020 due to COVID-19.

He also noted there was good news, in that a further breakdown shows the number of Canadians hunting waterfowl has increased for the first time in six years, including in Ontario, where sales increased slightly to 56,589 in 2020 from 54,571 in 2019

STUBBLE BUM

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The CWS figures from the 2021 Report on the Population Status of Migratory Birds

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit Sales and Harvest Information on the sale of Migratory Game Bird Hunting (MGBH) permits is available from 1966 onwards (Figure 3.1). Annual sales peaked in 1978 (524 946 permits sold) and subsequently declined to an all time low in 2020, when sales were down to 147185 permits.

Link to the whole report

STUBBLE BUM

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The CWS figures from the 2021 Report on the Population Status of Migratory Birds

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit Sales and Harvest Information on the sale of Migratory Game Bird Hunting (MGBH) permits is available from 1966 onwards (Figure 3.1). Annual sales peaked in 1978 (524 946 permits sold) and subsequently declined to an all time low in 2020, when sales were down to 147185 permits.

Link to the whole report

The Delta Waterfowl report on the total sales number is probably more accurate as the government only counts online sales and sales where the stubs from the old style paper licenses were sent in. Some postal outlets and dealers neglect to send in the stubs

moyak

Refuge Member
Reaction score
The Delta Waterfowl report on the total sales number is probably more accurate as the government only counts online sales and sales where the stubs from the old style paper licenses were sent in. Some postal outlets and dealers neglect to send in the stubs
Hi Stubble Bum .......long time we didn't talked.....
How are you ?
Do you still hunt ( what a stupid question) lol.
I still hunt in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for 20 years (with this year).
Hope to talk to you soon and best see you ..............

STUBBLE BUM

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hi Claude - long time indeed. I'm keeping busy and yes, I'm still an avid duck and goose hunter. I haven't been west since 2019 but I am heading to SK this fall. Really looking forward to it. Take care.

moyak

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hi Claude - long time indeed. I'm keeping busy and yes, I'm still an avid duck and goose hunter. I haven't been west since 2019 but I am heading to SK this fall. Really looking forward to it. Take care.
I'll be in Manitoba and SASK this coming fall , depending where you'll be we could maybe meet...
I'll be there from the 12th of SEPT till .......at least 2 more weeks.

Take care.

Chris Benson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
With a quick stop in Manitoba for a little hunting correct with old friends right? ;)