Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Upland boots leaking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by markd, Oct 14, 2020.

1. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 pair of Danner's (Sharptail pull-ons & a pair of Pronghorns) that have started to leak, just a little. Plenty of sole left on them, leather/fabric is still in pretty good shape. They are great boots.....in dry conditions. They are 5-6 years old so I'm not going send them back to Danner for a "refund."

How I do to fix? Only wear on dry hunt? Throw them in the garbage and buy some new ones?

2. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I have had a bunch of US made Danners (Grouse) because they fit me good and aren’t insanely expensive ($250-ish). If I get 2 years of somewhat heavy use and no leaking, I consider that pretty good. Hard for me to expect a sewn leather boot to be 100% waterproof very long. I’d say 5-6 years is pretty good and retire those for dry hunts. Get a new pair for the wet hunts.

Keep an eye on their Black Friday sale, it’s usually pretty good.

markd likes this.
  3. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Snow seal and a hair dryer.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Depends on the leak. If it's the leather getting permeated with water @Out of focus method is correct. (Although, I throw them in the oven, but either way works.) If it's where the sole meets the boot itself (which it definitely may be) then you can "caulk" the seam with shoe goo.

Randy likes this.
  5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

SAA: If your upland boots are leaking water you're probably not hunting in the uplands...

Real Answer: Anything wearable that is waterproof should be considered long-term disposable. If it bothers you get new ones. The "fabric" waterproof layering just isn't nearly as rugged as the rubber soles or Kevlar exterior fabrics.

WoodieSC and Banded1 like this.
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

While I get leather lace ups for rocky, and steep, country or dry climates, if waterproof is truly required, rubber knee boots are the only way to go. With the variety available these days, most can find a comfortable model.

WoodieSC and hobbydog like this.
  7. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I'd try this first. It's a low cost alternative that you might have to repeat every 12 months. Eventually you'll need to buy new, but this is just buying more time.

8. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

This is what I was thinking, I find myself wearing pull-ons most of the time unless I am going to be logging a ton of miles.

I will probably give this a go on the Sharptails along the sole and rub some into the seams on the top of the foot.....can't hurt, they leak now.

Thanks fellas.

9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I caulk anything that has stitching. Doesn't look great but it is effective. On a 6 year old boot, what do you have to lose?

10. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

5-6 years??

Probably dry rotted. Hard to get rubber boots to that long, let alone a fabric barrier.

Snow seal works really well on leather like said. A combination leather fabric boot I don't know what to use except something like a fabric sealer. Nikwax works well on clothes to restore goretex. Don't know if it would work on boots or not. There are a few other waterproofing sprays out there that you might try.

I look at boots kinda like tires, it's not always the miles but the age. Nice thing about leather is you can keep them conditioned, that really keeps them going. The fabrics and liners breakdown over time, so does thread. I have been trying to get boots made out of large sections of leather, less to break down that way.

markd likes this.