Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Upland boots leaking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by markd, Oct 14, 2020.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Since the OP is already heading this way, what brand or model of pull-ons/rubber boots do people like? (My upland boots also started leaking last week and I'm going back to pullups).

Default always seemed to be Muckboot but heard quality has dropped recently.....or was it that they made the boycott list for some reason?

I had a pair of Rockies and got out what I paid into them, which wasn't much.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I wear the Lacrosse ankle fits for anything requiring serious walking.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve had a few different brands, and all crack at the same spot. The bend at the toes. Now I buy the cheapest camo ones I can find.

4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

I had a pair of Pronghorns that became dry only boots after just a couple years. All the seams leaked, and there must have been pinholes in the goretex lining because it didn’t take much to get them wet inside. I did the snow seal method, and it worked OK enough if I was just walking through grass with dew on it, that level of moisture, but they were incapable of fending off anything more. I keep them around for another 10 years as dry/work boots because they were really comfortable.

If you’re really attached to them, try the snow seal and shoe goo method, but prepare for disappointment. I bought a pair of Irish Setter pack boots about the same time as my Danners, and they have never leaked. When it came time to replace the Danners, guess which direction I went...

markd likes this.
  5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

10-12 years ago I bought a pair of Muck Wetlands, unbelievable how comfortable/durable they were. Now I have both Lacrosse and Mucks, no difference between the two but they aren't as "good" as that original pair of Mucks.

Right now Muck has a 40% coupon on some of their boots. That brings the price down to $70-80 for a pair. Hard to beat that even if they only last 2-3 years in the field.

You could not give me a pair of Rockies. F those guys.

6. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

The Dan’s Hunting Gear boots are pretty comfortable too. I got the Frogger boot on my hip waders I ordered from them, and so far I like them a lot better than my Mucks.

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Also what socks are you using?

Good Merino helps when your feet get wet.

8. cjg

cjg New Member

Lacrosse Grange if it's wet. I walk a lot fall bird hunting and spring turkey hunting, they usually last about 4 years

9. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I wear mucks all the time and love them but that being said I am not hiking upland in them or the mountains they are just not built for that job. If your old boots are leaking due to being dried leather maybe recondition and snow seal them up and you will probably be fine. If not buy a new pair of good leather boots and seal them when new and every year after they will last along time

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

worst boots I’ve ever owned. The sole literally fell off of mine and my friend had his crumble apart while we were goose hunting. I don’t even look at their stuff when I’m looking for boots.

OneShotBandit and Farm4wildlife like this.