Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Upland boots leaking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by markd, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

Still 2 sizes too small. Take a 15.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Those were snipe not woodcock... :) Like I said that was the SmartAssAnswer and just a joke.

I've never killed a ruffed grouse but I have killed a lot of woodcock. I was one of the few South Carolinains in the woodcock wing survey in the 1980 and early 1990's. I hunted them because the duck seasons were so short. Then the duck seasons got longer and it's probably been 20 years since I've even tried to kill a woodcock.

[​IMG]

fishnfool likes this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

To waterproofing leather, I've found Nik Wax leather treatment better than Snow Seal, as the later transmits cold more than the former. Had a cheap pair of initially silicon-waterproofed leather Cabela's Woodsmen that Nik Wax kept water tight for years. And Nik Wax cloth treatment is also what I use to keep "breathable and waterproof" membranes the later. However, as someone else has noted, I don't know how it would work out on a combo boot, but it wouldn't be too expensive to find out.

Re: knee boots, I practically live in them and gave up on La Crosse Granges after a manufacturing change years back rendered them as short-lived as their chevron soles are slippery - which is very. Tried several alternatives before ponying up for poor-boy "Country" Le Chameaus still made of real rubber that wears like iron compared to the now more common compounds - plus they've meaningful tread: https://www.lechameau.com/us/men-s-country-vibram-jersey-lined-boot.html

Found mine much cheaper than list on ebay. But if you're going to put the kind of miles I do on mine, you'll probably want to add a cushioned insole.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member

Killed a lot of rabbits and pheasants wearing bread bags under tennis shoes.

BigSkyDuk, WoodieSC, hobbydog and 2 others like this.
  5. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

DUDE! Memories...............:tu

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator

How is the width on these Lowas?

I’m going to have to finally replace my Danner Sharptails soon, but need at least an E width if I plan on wearing decent socks.

7. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

A DIFFERENT APPROACH: My son lived in Nevada for 20 years and spent more time hunting chukar than any other bird. Hunted on top, killed up to 50 a year. After the first year he hunted exclusively in Asics running shoes.

WoodieSC likes this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member

Once I got a dog and realized I'd been chasing birds for miles with them outpacing me I got smart. Id drive my 4x4 thru my spots just once so I could walk the tire track and make better time and do it more quietly. Things got way better. Rabbits would try and use the path to escape. Easy pickings.
    I was hunting abandoned railroad right of ways and ditches in Illinois.

9. Gene

Gene Senior Refuge Member

I bought my first good pair of waterproof boots, the Kangaroo boots with the Goretex liner from big C back in the 80s? They were lighter than my sneaks and they were fantastic. I hunted Quail 3 days a week up here in the foothills.
    After decades of use, they could no longer be repaired so I went to the trouble of getting another pair, big trouble! Ca does not allow the import of Kangaroo skin??
    I finally got them and they are total crap!!!!
    Heavy and the fit is way off. Too wide. On top of the lack of quality, they squeak when I walk??
    After years of wearing them, they still squeak! I have to wear thick socks to keep my feet from sliding, so much for not having sweaty feet.
    What is the difference between the two pair? Well, this pair was made in China.
    When Cabalia's started importing Chinese crap I quit buying from them!!

10. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Senior Refuge Member

I have a couple pair older Danners.
    Expect 2 years max waterproof.
    I treat with snopruf and heat each year.
    Wool socks with gore tex overstock will work also.