Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Upland boots leaking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by markd, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

Too bad they dont still make the old redwing Irish setter nu buck water proofs. The ones with the urethane sole. I had prs of those that stayed waterproof for years and years of serious upland hunting. They would re sole them and you could wear the new sole off before the leather was worn out! The new waterproof leather boots are junk compared to them. They use to have displays of those redwings with the boot cut in half and glued to a glass case. They totally submerged the boot in water. You could see the inside of the boot thru the glass. They had one of those displays in Haneys shoe store in Omaha. That display was 15 years old and the boot still had not leaked! Too bad redwing is not the same quality of boot company now! I just wear danner and replace every 2 years now. The soles on the danners only last that long for me anyway.

2. Backwards bleed

If you run to the top of the mountain after those sob chukar you might get a shot at them as they flush off the back side of the divide! Agreed about running shoes for them!

3. Backwards bleed

I didnt know that you were sasquatch! I didnt realize that those walleye you catch are fricken huge!:sp

4. DakFowl_28

DakFowl_28 Refuge Member

These boots are over 16yrs old. I keep them clean after hunts and seal them. Never had wet feet in them but they are only used for pheasant/Antelope hunting on the prairies. I have been in a few inches of water with no issues. These were originally called Danner Antelope & i believe they changed the boot 091AB7F6-71D3-4A5A-8C18-562175659233.jpeg name to Grouse now. Great boots, Gortex lined, but they were very pricey.

5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

I have a pair of all leather Danner Frontiers, a little older even. They don't leak. Great boots, but they are heavy.

6. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

6'5" right at 300# to put them in perspective. Anyone can take pictures of small fish, that's for rookies.

7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Nickname in school was Tiny, eh?

8. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

Must be that Viking blood up north.

9. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Elite Refuge Member

Bought a pair of Danners from Dunkleburgers in Stroudsburg Pa. about a thousand years ago; leaked like sieves from day one. NikWax, hair drier, old time dubbin, still leaked like sieves. Threw them away with very little use and was glad to see them go.

In fairness this was Wales in wintertime, where you're up to the ankles in sloppy mud for most of the day; the only respite is when you are actually standing in water.

Like Bill, I've never had a pair of leather (or faux leather) boots that stood up to 12 hours of constant wet. Wellies rule.

As a BTB, like sacbob's relative, I also wear Asic trail runners (with bamboo socks) for dry weather walking .... absolutely brilliant. The most comfortable footwear of any type I've ever worn. Mind you they are also the ugliest and gayest.

[​IMG]

How pretty is that....?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    sacbob likes this.
  10. fishmunkee

fishmunkee Elite Refuge Member

Flaming.... just flaming.