Upright Frezzer??

3B209

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a chest freezer i got for 50 bucks at a yard sale like 7 years ago. Has worked flawlessly, thankfully. Been flirting with the ideas of buying an upright also... Home depot will have this on sale through the 4th i believe. Free shipping also if you went that route.

JoJer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Maytag. 20 cu ft.
Right around a grand.
10 year compressor warranty.
The old one, A Kelvinator is about 50 years old, we think: My wife thinks her mom had this for about 10 years before we inherited it. I replaced door seals on it twice. No other maintenance.
35IznZUm.jpg

The new one, a Kenmore is about three years old. I bought it just in time, befor Covid etc. made them basically unavailable. It was delivered the day before we got our 1/2 a beef we'd ordered.
CxrDxDLm.jpg

Double Reed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks i was looking at Samsung it's on sale,But going with a GE it's on sale to,plus right now they deliver it for free ...
Anything is better than a Samsung. All their products stink. You made a better choice.

I firmly believe that appliances made in the last 15 years are meant to fall apart the day after the “limited warranty” expires.

I replaced every appliance in my house a few months ago and they were bought by the previous owner new not much before we bought the house ourselves. They left the paperwork in a drawer.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The old one, A Kelvinator is about 50 years old, we think: My wife thinks her mom had this for about 10 years before we inherited it. I replaced door seals on it twice. No other maintenance.
35IznZUm.jpg

The new one, a Kenmore is about three years old. I bought it just in time, befor Covid etc. made them basically unavailable. It was delivered the day before we got our 1/2 a beef we'd ordered.
CxrDxDLm.jpg

That is old school.

My family owned an appliance store for 63 years up until last year. I was lucky to have gotten all mine at cost.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
I have two Frigidaires from Lowe's. One chest type and the other is upright (freezer on top, reefer on the bottom). Both are at least 15 years old and as long as the doors stay closed they work just fine.

IMG_2858[1].JPG

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My son got a 17 CU Ft. from Cosco a couple months ago, can't recall the brand, it was on sale for $699, but it had a dent in it (from a Cosco cart), so they gave him $100 off. I bought a commercial freezer about 15-20 years ago, the cooling coils are in the racks, not inside the body, around 24 Cu ft., it wasn't cheap, but it has a 25 year warranty on the compressor, it's been flawless.

Avg Joe

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am still running the one I inherited from my mom when she passed. She won it in a church raffle in 1979.... big ol' compressor in the back

Silver Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
All newer appliances are crap. I replaced all of ours 6 years ago during a remodel. So far the only one that has not broken yet is the Kenmoore oven. Samsung washer and dryer have both broken…washer has been replaced. Kenmoore refrigerator compressor took a dump after 1.5 years, then the ice maker a year later. Kenmoore dishwasher circulation pump died after 2 years…fixed it, it died again and was replaced last week with Bosch. I would always do all my own repairs, but after seeing what is going on with appliances I decided to go the home warranty route at $50 a month…it’s paying off.
I’ve asked 3 different repair guys which brand I should be replacing with. They all scratch their heads, pause and then say…they are all crap.
I wouldn’t get rid of any old appliances that are still running.