Used BPS vs New SXP

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by MNBucksNDucks, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MNBucksNDucks

MNBucksNDucks Refuge Member

Although I have a SBE II that I really like, I will admit it kinda hurts me the thought of bringing a shotgun over $1,000 into the marsh on snowy, or rainy days. Or even worse hunting in a kayak (which I will be utilizing this season). Although she's a black,synthetic stock shotty, and not some beautiful AA grade wood, theres a part of me that doesn't want to inflict imminent finish damage to it putting it in those conditions especially when I've come to find that Benelli's black finish is very susceptible to rust. Aside from the visual aspect being harmed , I also somewhat dislike having to take off the stock and clean the action spring and tube assembly every time it would get wet. Dont get me wrong I enjoy cleaning my firearms and understand the necessity and befits to a clean firearm (which mine are) but, being that the stock would need to be removed each time, I feel that the parts would prematurely wear. Such as the recoil pad from being slipped off each time. The rest of the gun is not a problem and to me is one of the simplest guns to take a part.

Therefore Im debating in purchasing a cheap pump gun as my bad weather/slightly abuse gun.

I found a used BPS Stalker 3.5" (dont shoot 3.5's although I do like the option of having it) at my local Cabelas for $350. It has scratches /finish wear and some possible corrosion (would have to go look at it again and really inspect it, and could use to my advantage to talk down price) but the slide was butter smooth .

The other option is Scheels has brand new Winchester SXP Black Shadow's in 3" for $329 and then a $25 rebate by Winchester.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

If the BPS is new enough vintage to have invector plus chokes I,d go with that. Drop at comb slightly more on BPS stocks than SXP stocks. I personally like the BPS as the stock drop works for me. That said I sold my 20 & 10 several years ago when I moved on to O/u,s and autos. Have it dipped if your afraid of rust. Helps greatly. Both Benelli,s I,ve had started out as black but quickly got dipped as their black finish does rust extremely quick.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

BPS ejects downward, right? (I'm not sure) That might be handy for the kayak.

Sunklands likes this.
  4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yes bottom ejection, thumb safety on top of the receiver. I've got a 10, 12 & 20, I've considered selling all 3 seeing as I never shoot them.

To the OP I know nothing about the SXP but the BPS is a good gun. Sounds like a decent deal.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

BPS are built like tanks and they handle and shoot well. I've had a 3" stalker for 19 years as an abuse, mud, loaner, utility, truck gun. The only issue I have ever had was a rusted out magazine spring from abusing it as a saltwater spare for sea ducks, 100% my fault.

6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

As has been suggested go with the BPS, only thing I found a bit annoying is the bottom ejection. Hard to tell if there's a live round in the gun or not vs standard side ejection. Other than that very good guns.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

I would buy the BPS. I like them.

8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Ive got a BPS 12ga 26" barrel 3.5" stalker that has had thousands of rounds through it. Action is still smooth as silk.

9. MNBucksNDucks

MNBucksNDucks Refuge Member

Sounds like the BPS is the better of the two. Only other thing I'm wondering about is what advantages / disadvantages are there to a Chrome lined barrel and chamber (SXP) vs non chrome lined barrel or chamber (BPS)? Obviously the advantage to chrome lined is corrosion resistance and ease of clean up but I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not the BPS will become a rust magnet on the inside if I use it in foul weather as I intended? Also I noticed when I briefly looked the BPS over the other day that there could have been a few surface rust spots on the interior of the choke. Should I skip if there is any hint of rust inside the bore, chamber, choke, etc.?

10. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I'll attest to labeling the BPS a tank, damn thing is fat all the way around and too cumbersome for me.
    Mine has thin bluing from the beginning and rusts fairly quickly.
    3.5" chamber required me to cut a half inch from the stock which helps.
    Personally I'd get the Winchester.
    Currently shoot a Maxus and shelved the BPS, but it is a solid backup gun.