Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

va dgif permit system is a joke

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by KAHunter, Aug 26, 2019.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Just got an email for early season numbers for back bay. Oops the download for your numbers doesnt work! Second fake out for them, the previous being my numbers from 2017. What a joke system. shows the incompetence of va dgif. Its actually sad bc our dgif really is terrible overall.

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

That’s all run through a third party I believe. But what else do you consider dgif a joke on? Examples of them being terrible? I hunt mainly private so I don’t have any issues with the department as a whole. I have had some disagreements with a CPO but that’s more a legislative thing.

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

I dont care if it goes through the president if it comes out from the vadgif its from them and on them. Our public land pales in comparison to pretty much any other state. The permit/licensing system is a joke. Back bay is a mess. The duck seasons as they are set up now are wack. The list goes on and on.

creedsduckman likes this.
  4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Ever since they went with the Go outdoors Va thing it has had issues. It is very hard to get to talk with someone when you phone in for anything. But that's for all business now, nobody wants to talk with you,they just want your credit card number.

LEWDOG likes this.
  5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

How about the impoundments at PAWMA that are in the draw that to my knowledge haven't been planted in years and I'm not sure they even get flooded anymore unless its rain. Back when they were first built and actually got planted/managed they held a lot of ducks at times and helped the blinds on the bay. Both bush blinds and float blinds. Now they are a joke.

6. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

What changed? Why did they quit planting and flooding?

7. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Ranks these states in order of "acres per person to hunt"
    VA
    PA
    FL
    LA

Rank these states in acres of "state owned land available to hunt"
    VA
    NC
    NE
    SD

I agree the licensing system is a train wreck.

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Honestly I'm not sure. Personally I think they just don't care. They sell the hunts (quote draws) but don't really care if its huntable or if anyone kills a duck. They would probably say lack of funds or resources.

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

DGIF with funding from others (DU and private partners) just completed a $1m water control project there in the past year and I believe that the impoundments are planted this year.

bird junkie likes this.
  10. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

You ever notice that if you search the individual state forums long enough a common thread among most is that the people in their respective states think their wildlife agencies are incompetent and run by people with a fraction of the knowledge of those here on this anonymous forum. The second commonality is that no one anywhere has ducks. Again, because of agency incompetence mostly regarding season setting, quota hunt management, neglect of state lands etc... Just saying.