Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

va dgif permit system is a joke

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by KAHunter, Aug 26, 2019.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

That is a perf example. They finally did some actual work on it, but It still isnt close to what it could be. They have done improvements but that could be a great twice a week placed to hunt. Now its an ok once a week place to hunt. Why not manage it better and open it up to 2 days a week so more people can have an opportunity.

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

My hunting season sucks because VA doesn't do enough for me to make my season good.....

tenor.gif

3. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

KA - You should call the DGIF wetland biologist (although I think the position is currently vacant) and tell 'em that neither DU nor they (the state) know how to manage wetlands. I'm sure they'd love to hear how its done in Carolina.

MD - I always said we got the best agency we hunters are willing to fund (but as a retiree I'm biased).

4. KAHunter

Ive been to a few public managed impoundments and waterfowl/wetland areas in VA. Ive been to and seen alot more in NC and on private land Maybe the managers in VA do need to talk to a few outside sources bc what I have seen in VA is subpar at best. I dont need or want to get into this anymore, but what I have seen and experienced overall in VA (along with many others I have talked to), I would call poor or less than stellar management and practices. Just my .02. I only know greater tidewater area and mostly duck hunting stuff and I rarely hunt any of these places (for a reason) so take it as it is.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

6. Chesapeakefreak

Chesapeakefreak Senior Refuge Member

I don’t think Virginia government in general cares to get too deeply involved with hunting and conservation stuff. VDGIF is tiny and run on a shoestring budget. They do what they can with the pittance of funding and personnel they have.

I will say the lottery hunt stuff is pure fiasco but it’s par for the course with government computer service contracted out. Nearly always a mediocre to bad

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Road by there and the impoundments are planted with corn.

8. KAHunter

Yes i did. I will be back to you today

9. KAHunter

Question is how much do they leave?? In years past they have picked everything.

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Originally it was all planted and left standing back when the old manager was there (also when it held the most ducks). Then a farmer started tending the land and yes he picked everything. No idea if VDGIF planted this time or a farmer.