Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

va dgif permit system is a joke

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by KAHunter, Aug 26, 2019.

1. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Once the waste grain is gone, which happens rapidly in a flooded corn or soybean field, that is pretty much a dessert when it comes to duck food. Alot of guys in NC get a farmer to plant corn and allow the farmer to pick enough to cover his costs and leave the rest. Usually ends up in enough corn for the ducks and enough corn for the farmer at no cost. Seems easy enough to me.

2. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

I think the impoundments are co-op’d. A farmer bids for the land on a per acre basis. DGIF typically requires “X” amount of crop be left standing.

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I agree. I was fortunate enough to get invited to hunt an impoundment at Mattamuskeet ~10 years ago. It was strip planted alternating between corn and soybeans. Farmer picked the beans and left the corn standing. Corn never lasted long enough for the ducks find it the swan cleaned it out before they could even flood!

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Not the the year I'm talking about because I know the farmer that was tending it then and he picked everything.

5. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

MarkD, thanks for this data. I'm not disagreeing, I am just asking...where is this data from and are there any more details behind the data? I am interested because I have hunted public land in 4 states (3 as a Resident) and been quite happy except for Texas (although coastal Texas has lots of Federal land).

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Well I know for a fact for a handful of years it was completely picked. It looked great one year then they picked all the food. They also had a great stand of moist soil/natural one year. Talked to a buddy a few weeks later, they sprayed it all, planted beans and picked all the beans.

creedsduckman likes this.
  7. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/

It was the easiest site for me to find the info I wanted. I am sure you find another site that has slightly different numbers. My post is a little misleading on purpose. Do I think the hunting here is as good as SD or LA? No, of course not but it does show that VA does a pretty decent job of providing public land for hunting. Waterfront land is expensive here and we don't have many ducks to start with, so naturally the options are going to trend more towards deer and small game. I'd rather have those options than nothing for sure.

Most of my issues with DGIF are administrative/law enforcement related. I'll leave it at that.

I have more of an issue with the whiners complaining that the state doesn't "do" enough for them. Do you count on the state to put food on your table or provide your health insurance? No? Then why in the world would you count on them to provide you with good hunting? Go out and make it happen on your own.

Little Ruddy and Deadrise like this.
  8. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

I know shouldn't really comment on this, as I haven't hunted in VA since 2011/2012...

But, I agree. I agree 100%. The whole VA DGIF and the entire lottery system is a disaster and (well, to be honest) a complete scam. I never did it, never signed up, etc... probably because, kind of like Spiderman, my "Spidey Sense" was warning me about it.

9. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

You have never participated in any managed or quota hunt and you haven’t hunted in VA since 2011 but you know the system is messed up? Wow.

coachcornbread likes this.
  10. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

I've been hunting in VA for years before that and have seen enough to make me quit in the fall of 2011...

Not badmouthing anything or talking trash or acting like an a.$.$, but hey, I got a free place to hunt anytime I want, back home in upstate New York on my sisters 125 acre horse farm. LOADED with "farm deer" and turkeys and migrating Canadian geese too! It's just a PITA 'cause it's a 9½ - 10 hour drive up there.