Very few geese.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Bwana1, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Very few geese around the Rock Hall, Chestertown area. These few geese must mainly be the migratory AP geese that are having population number issues. And a few resident geese. It goes to show how low the numbers of these geese (AP) geese are. With no cold weather yet, the other groups (AF,RP) have not arrived. Just my observation so far.

2. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much my observations from Chester River to the Tred.
    A handful of migratory birds in small pockets but no huge concentrations yet.
    We have a little over a month until the 17th opener, maybe some ice at Montezuma will happen before then and move them off the moist soil impoundments.

7bartman, Bwana1 and mooseknuckle like this.
  3. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Looks like they will be getting a bit if a frozen mix up there next week but probably not freezing any time soon.

Michigan guys whose season used to end by ice now hunt the entire season. We are in for it.

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

I do agree we are short on geese right now but really not by to much. Thinking back- the Thanksgiving split only had about 50% of the birds we get in December/January. It seems our big pushes come mid December any more. Cold weather and snow forecasted up north for next week will push some more this way. I have seen some smaller younger birds so perhaps population is starting to rebound. Still could be a great year. In order to see what is really around we need a cold winter early. Without pushing all the geese to the shore it’s just a guessing game because many are scattered in PA & NY. Some never make it on a warm winter.

Bwana1 likes this.
  5. RBurg44

RBurg44 New Member

i really miss that thanksgiving split! I hope they give us that back before the two bird a day limit comes back!

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Good!

Muddy- there weren’t many geese on those places- but the refuge was full.

7. honga

honga Senior Refuge Member

There are just a few down here in Church Creek, Dorchester. I have seen some migrating birds coming in high and dropping into the creek but they don't hang around. Less than 100 moving about around sunset most days. Not sure about Blackwater NWR but in past years there were good numbers of Blackwater birds (Canadas and Snows) feeding in fields near Church Creek. not so in the last several years.

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

The amount of geese on the Shore no longer is any direct indicator of the populations health. The Shore is an afterthought for the AP now. PA and NY are the new Eastern Shore.

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Trevor- you have band and transmitter data to support that or is that just a theory?

I don't necessarily disagree but we are about 2 years away from knowing a lot more.

10. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

3F45D9E2-CCAD-43FD-B1A5-919B70C9ED1D.jpeg

Scotty likes this.