Very few geese.

Langford

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The amount of geese on the Shore no longer is any direct indicator of the populations health. The Shore is an afterthought for the AP now. PA and NY are the new Eastern Shore.

Your right until we get an early freeze or heavy snow up north early. Then we still get the AP geese we used to. Just seems to only happen once every 3-5 years any more.

If the freeze or snow comes late ( say mid to late January) the AP geese just stick it out and keep the ponds open north.

Trevor Shannahan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Your right until we get an early freeze or heavy snow up north early. Then we still get the AP geese we used to. Just seems to only happen once every 3-5 years any more.

If the freeze or snow comes late ( say mid to late January) the AP geese just stick it out and keep the ponds open north.
Nope, that doesn’t even drive birds down here any more. A small freeze doesn’t push birds as they have plenty of water in upstate NY that NEVER freezes. It takes a few feet of snow(covers up the food) to push birds now. I’ve seen late Jan pushes in the last 5 years on heavy snow events up north, timing doesn’t matter that much.

Trevor Shannahan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Trevor- you have band and transmitter data to support that or is that just a theory?

I don't necessarily disagree but we are about 2 years away from knowing a lot more.
I’ve seen the change firsthand in Ny and Md populations over the last 7-10 years. NY gets more and more and MD gets less and less. Call it a coincidence if you want, but you’d be wrong.

This isn’t a last 3 year trend, it’s been happening for a while now.

Bwana1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen the change firsthand in Ny and Md populations over the last 7-10 years. NY gets more and more and MD gets less and less. Call it a coincidence if you want, but you’d be wrong.

This isn’t a last 3 year trend, it’s been happening for a while now.
60 years ago, North Carolina was saying the same thing about the Eastern Shore.The only thing we can do about it is to not overshoot what we have.

Allan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
60 years ago, North Carolina was saying the same thing about the Eastern Shore.The only thing we can do about it is to not overshoot what we have.

Boom!!!

What most don’t realize is things never stay the same. They never have, they never will. Quit expecting things to go back to “normal”, I’m as guilty of this as most of us are. o_O

I’ve learned my lesson….have you? Adapt and adjust. And scout. :)

Bendlikeareed

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Watching the Blackwater camera this morning, very active with geese and ducks nice to see

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
interesting to read this as I was driving down to Tighlman yesterday and told my wife how surprised I was to not of seen a goose anywhere from Kent Island till we got on 33 between Easton and Tighlman and said in years back there would be many more geese down by now. weather and food surely plays a role in their migration but I think the population will never be what it was unless they do a complete closure for 10 years from Canada all the way down the east coast and then control the amount of birds harvested from the north down. still haven't seen or heard a major push of birds yet and only heard a few a couple days and nights.

Latest posts