Very few geese.

carolina girl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t pretend to know anything more than anyone else here, and some would agree, less…….but I went to the store a little while ago and my car said it was 68 degrees with what appeared to me a warm south wind in my face. I don’t suspect birds are gonna migrate here with that kind of weather. Let’s see what this cool(not cold) air does for the push. Hope it’s good for you goose hunters

dr.cripple

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nope, that doesn’t even drive birds down here any more. A small freeze doesn’t push birds as they have plenty of water in upstate NY that NEVER freezes. It takes a few feet of snow(covers up the food) to push birds now. I’ve seen late Jan pushes in the last 5 years on heavy snow events up north, timing doesn’t matter that much.

dr.cripple

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Your right until we get an early freeze or heavy snow up north early. Then we still get the AP geese we used to. Just seems to only happen once every 3-5 years any more.

If the freeze or snow comes late ( say mid to late January) the AP geese just stick it out and keep the ponds open north.

dr.cripple

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Agreed. We will get birds when Finger Lakes/ Montezuma get 6 inches or more of snow to cover their food.Snow is the key, as water stays open there. Absolute correlation every year.

Langford

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The number of geese on the shore is extremely low for the end of November. I have been all over Talbot, Queen Ann’s, Kent, & Cecil and have never seen AP goose numbers this low this time of year. We need some cold weather/snow in PA & NY bad!

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Might be because our weather is running about a month behind temp wise from recent past. We're the new N. Carolina! Lillys haven,t even died out yet in our rivers in my area. Not that long ago they were dead & gone by time 2nd split started. Effects of global warming ?

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I drove by "the feed today" and it was about 100 where there are usually a couple thousand.

Good thing goose season is a ways off.

Latest posts