Vin Scully....

Sunklands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I miss Mike Shannon. His, slightly out of sync, call of the game and gravely, alcohol driven rumblings. No nonsense, old school. He’d call out his own team for poor play. Perfect.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In NY we had "The Scooter" Phil Rizzuto, Mel Allen, and Ralph Kiner (Mets).
Growing up in the early 60's and living near the old Yankee Stadium, we listened on the radio quite a bit.
RIP Mr. Scully. an MLB Classic

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dizzy Dean. "He slud into thurd base.":l:l:l
Not sure how, as she’s passed away now and I can’t ask, but I remember as a kid hearing my maternal grandmother say that she was a cousin to Paul and Jay Dean somehow. Never did check in to it

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I miss Mike Shannon. His, slightly out of sync, call of the game and gravely, alcohol driven rumblings. No nonsense, old school. He’d call out his own team for poor play. Perfect.
My dad used to play ball with Red Schoendienst son, Kevin, when they were about 15 on a Kiwanis team outta St Louis. Kevin was good buddies with one of Shannon’s sons, who claimed mike showed up late, and stumbling drunk to his own son’s wedding. Not sure how many sons Shannon has, but one of em is buying up a ton of ground in my town and developing it for deer hunting

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
one of em is buying up a ton of ground in my town and developing it for deer hunting
Well, there goes the neighborhood!!!

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Son, you is gonna have to start a side business with some of your work associates in order to buy a few hundred acres. Where are El Choppo and his money when you need them?

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Son, you is gonna have to start a side business with some of your work associates in order to buy a few hundred acres. Where are El Choppo and his money when you need them?
I’d prefer to keep going to that place voluntarily and never be a resident. Eight hours around the “northern clientele” is all I can take some days. Couldnt imagine doing 3-5 years of it. I’d be in seg all the time for fightin

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oops, I misspelled business. I believe it's bidness...right?

ducknwork

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You could hate the Dodgers, like every Giants fan, but appreciate Scully. Heck, he called "The Catch" which set the stage for many Niner memories. I still almost want to puke every time I hear Gibsons home run. I grew up an A's fan, no clue how many games dad took me to at the Oakland coliseum back in the day. But that wasn't Scully's fault, he was just the voice that keeps it living forever!
Watched the rebroadcast last night of the Gibson game. Pretty awesome stuff.