Vinyl wrapped boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Cootsmashfever, May 5, 2021.

1. da grouch

da grouch Senior Refuge Member

Simply paint it, etch and sketch. I never cared for the stencils. I run a Polk a dot special. Cut holes in a card board box and use it to apply the right colors for where you are. I went flat brown to lighter shades. You might have to do the opposite. A guy on the job once said “using it will dark in it”. I live in a place where mud lightens it. Have fun! Who cares what it becomes as long as ducks land on it! My favorite part is when you troll up to the restaurant in an “ugly” boat.

2. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

For camo, black blends in well from above in all environments. It’s like shadows. But too hot in summer. I’d paint a boat before wrapping it, unless brand new, then I do shelf paper again

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Very little in nature is black, unless it's been burned.
    Shadows are not black. If you park a red pickup in the garage, it does not look black. If you are standing under a tree, you skin and clothes do not appear black.
    The reason so many duck hunters like black decoys is that black is a big contrast in the marsh......it doesn't blend in with anything except, maybe, some muds.

There is a reason you won't find many black components in military camouflage.

GK1 and oleww like this.
  4. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

upload_2021-5-15_12-23-21.jpeg

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Not military, granted, but one of the most effective camo patterns I have ever used....
    [​IMG]

da grouch and oleww like this.
  6. Tuleman

Effective in spite of the black component, not because of it. :tu

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Painted my jonboat back to od green. Motor too. Had a unique camo paintjob on her but a sticky situation arose one day and anti hunting videos were taken and distributed. 2 cans of camo green od paint and a couple of beers in the driveway under a shade tree, and that nasty hunterman’s boat done disappeared into thin air and a one in 10 million was born. Im going to stay with boring hum drum, everyones got one, od green jonboat.

oleww likes this.
  8. Cootsmashfever

Cootsmashfever Senior Refuge Member

Painted mine today but i think im gonna re do it, the brown turned almost res 57854F91-0117-4600-9695-5113BD05AE01.jpeg

9. da grouch

da grouch Senior Refuge Member

That looks good I wouldn’t bother repainting. Let it get muddy and you’ll blend right in. On a camo note, the OG was ‘flecktarn’ used by the bad guys in Europe. It was simply dotted colors of the surroundings. The US(70yrs later) has gone back to this with ‘multi cam’ dots of the colors found in the environment. Granted I don’t have a clue what a duck sees but like a good looking decoy if it appeases/ breaks up my vision then I like it. Good work :tu !

10. Tuleman

One of the main goals of camouflage is to break up the edges of man-made objects. (to make the eyes continue along and past the object into the natural background and foreground)
    This makes the shapes much less identifiable. If you'd continued those blotches/spots all the way to and around the edges, that nice camo job would be more effective. Nice work, though. :tu