Virus math

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Fowl Hunter, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Yes.
    That does not mean the actual instances of infection are reflected by those stats.

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

For sure the danger of media published information is we can never be sure of the reason for posting the information. Even when information is "accurate" it's not necessarily useful. The questions are first about the purpose for publishing information. Next, we have to consider whether the publisher is worthy of our trust. For me personally... Reuters... maybe. NYT... no way.

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Just the facts please by the agency that is considered to be the most reputable source.

As of March 7th, 2020.

Not some assumption based on assumptions.

However, that said...facts help prevent hysteria.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Someone on here asked about Italy I believe.

With more of a database to work with Italy is experiencing about a 4% mortality rate.

Italy has basically quarantined the entire country; especially in the Lombardi region.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Italy appears to have beaten covid 19 without a vaccine. The hardest hit areas have reached herd immunity and one Dr has stated the virus no longer exists in his area. Sorry no link due to phone.

6. Fowl Hunter

Fowl Hunter Senior Refuge Member

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

As a side note, I read that there were 89 recent cases of hospitalized children with COVID at our local chlidren's hospital... (This was out of a low percentage being tested according to the story) As someone pushing for my children to return to school, this was concerning information.

I ran into a nurse from the this children's hospital, and she put my mind at ease. She mentioned that this is a children's hospital, and someone coming in to be treated for Leukemia or a broken arm is going to get tested for COVID, and just because the test came out positive does NOT mean that they were admitted to the hospital due to COVID... They were all too often there for different reasons, tested, and came out positive for a completely different reason that for which they originally presented.

The media appears to be attempting to be somewhat disingenuous hyperbolic information that and seems to relish in creating some degree of fear... On the other hand, this last week I saw three patients who all lost family (all patients of mine) that were lost due to COVID... I never like to lose a patient for any reason, but death is the worst... I was a bit moody last week.

One young man came in wearing gloves and a mask, and seemed overly serious about being cautious. I thanked him for his consideration to me, and he told me that he recovered about 1 month ago, and that his mother almost passed, and that if he could do anything to prevent someone else from getting it, he would do so... RESPECT.

Read carefully what you read... Find another source if something is concerning, or hopeful. Optimism is not necessarily healthy, any more than pessimism is... Realism... I want to know what is happening to who, and why....

And... As a side note to Duckslayer... I hear you cannot get Covid having sex, as long as you are wearing an N-95.... The Covid suit currently has dramatically increased sex appeal for all you single men!

8. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

In NC, the news is telling us all that there are 123,000 covid cases..WOW, thats a lot. This number is updated daily and makes it sound like our cases are multiplying like rabbits do. In smaller print, way down the page, they add that 93K+ have recovered. That leaves 30K current cases, or does it? In that 30K number, there is NO mention of how many of that number were non symptomatic cases. recovery numbers are only updated once weekly, so with that time lag, it SEEMS that covid is spreading like wildfire.
    Also according to the news, there are 1200 people in the hospital due to covid. They also mention that there are 14K beds being used total. They make this sound like these 14k beds are eaten up by covid, but if you subtract the 1200 beds from the 14k beds, there are a lot of folks in the hospital for reasons other than covid.
    Numbers dont lie,unless...they are being manipulated to make things appear far worse than they are.

9. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

NY Times "Virus charges back" headline accompanied with 3 pictures of very-near 100% safe and healthy outdoor activities. Pure propaganda.

Eebx9ZZWoAAwttJ.jpg

10. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Photos of outdoor activities in FL on the cover of The NY Times?

What is the COVID-19 death count per capita in FL vs the COVID-19 death count per capita in NY?

FL is 31 per 100,000 people and
    NY is 168 per 100,000 people?

And FL has more people than NY?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183497/population-in-the-federal-states-of-the-us/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020