Wader woes

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, here’s a sad story. Last year I bought a brand new pair of Cabela’s breathable chest waders just before the season opened. Hunted them all season without issues... in fact, they were my first set of breathables and I really liked them. Fast forward to opening day a couple weeks ago and no sooner do I set foot in the pond to retrieve my first bird of the season than both boots start filling with water :mad: Turns out they had both developed large cracks right along a molding line in the boot—I have no idea how. I stored them hanging in my shop, which is not climate controlled, but is how I’ve stored waders for years without issue.

I brought them into my local Cabela’s, who decided not to stand behind their product.

So other than just ranting, I guess I’m looking for wader suggestions. Average height, slightly above average weight ;) Hunting style is a mix of walk in to small ponds/streams where I might stand in water waist deep, and hunting from a boat where waders are mostly for dog spray.

Cabela’s products are automatically vetoed!

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great. I just bought a pair of Cabela's breathables.
Dang it!

bxcall1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
From reading all of the waders threads, unless you’re gonna throw down a grand for Sitka, it seems like most of the mid priced ($250-300) waders are about the same. You can find guys that really like brand X and guys that have had bad experiences with brand X. It seems like how well they work might be dependent on what kind of day the guy in China was having when your pair was built.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I’ve been lucky with waders until now. The pair before this lasted 4 or 5 seasons. I don’t even really expect that kind of longevity, but I dang sure expect more than 1! That said, $1,000 Sitkas are too rich for me knowing that ultimately ALL waders will need to be replaced.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great. I just bought a pair of Cabela's breathables.
Dang it!
Mine were great, right until they weren’t. Maybe mine were Friday afternoon waders and yours are Wednesday morning waders!

spaightlabs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Look at the LL Bean waders. They will take 'em back for a year for any reason (versus Cabela Pro Shop's 30 days) and longer if defective.

When I returned my Cabelas' breathable after one year for the same problem they traded them straight across for me (they 'd had maybe 15 days on them and were hung in my basement work room) they told me this pair would only be warranted for 90 days. Told them I'd see 'em in 89 days.

Cabelas was a lot more accommodating before they started 'making' their own stuff.

Last pair of LaCrosse breathable lasted 6 years of 20 days a year before they pooped the bed. I'll try Bean's or Sitkas next go 'round.

okie drake

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Multiple wader threads here. No item/brand seems to have a diehard following or recommendation history.

I suggest going to a local store or an online vendor you like (sizing is easier addressed locally) and picking some that you think are a decent value and planning to replace them when they fail.

Sorry solution but I think that's reality. That's what I did couple years ago. My wader demands are luckily not real tough. Spent around a couple hundred and hoping I'll get a few years out of them. It was a thread on here on a sale at Academy.

mmayes

Diver Forum Mod
Reaction score
Look at the LL Bean waders. They will take 'em back for a year for any reason (versus Cabela Pro Shop's 30 days) and longer if defective.

When I returned my Cabelas' breathable after one year for the same problem they traded them straight across for me (they 'd had maybe 15 days on them and were hung in my basement work room) they told me this pair would only be warranted for 90 days. Told them I'd see 'em in 89 days.

Cabelas was a lot more accommodating before they started 'making' their own stuff.

Last pair of LaCrosse breathable lasted 6 years of 20 days a year before they pooped the bed. I'll try Bean's or Sitkas next go 'round.

I used to wear Bean Waders and they would replace them no problem. I got something from Bean in the last year saying their lifetime policy was no longer in effect.

I bought a pair of Drakes new Breathable waders and am looking forward to seeing how they hold up. They now have a 2 year policy

Mayes

da fowl slayer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have had decent luck w lacrosse when they leak they have replaced

so I get 2 seasons out of 1 buy
Not saying go that route but they have stood by them for me
I hang daily by the boots

tried banded leaked out the box
Hodgman has worked decent also