Wader woes

BAYDOG

Global Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
Ok, breathable/Any waders storage. After the season, rinse off and let dry. Then put a light layer of UV/rubber protectant of your choice(I've had good luck with Amour all) on the rubber boot only. Carefully fold waders up and put in heavy black plastic garbage back. Push all the air out of the bag you can, and tie up. Store in cool dry place out of any sunlight! They'll last years. Never had a pair of waders give out due to cracking! Have a pair of Cabela's neoprene's that are now 4 years old.

Bullet21XD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok, breathable/Any waders storage. After the season, rinse off and let dry. Then put a light layer of UV/rubber protectant of your choice(I've had good luck with Amour all) on the rubber boot only. Carefully fold waders up and put in heavy black plastic garbage back. Push all the air out of the bag you can, and tie up. Store in cool dry place out of any sunlight! They'll last years. Never had a pair of waders give out due to cracking! Have a pair of Cabela's neoprene's that are now 4 years old.

I've never had seams and stitching last long enough to wear out boots.

I like the LaCrosse waders. But they aren't without their faults, and the service is good. At least they don't leak all the time through the seams.

negooseman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Any wader made should not leak or even begin to leak for years under normal use IMO. I get the ones that leak from not taking care of them, snagging on sticks, barbed wire, etc. I bought a pair of Gator Waders towards the end of last season. Have worn them maybe 10 times under normal use and now they leak. :dohHang them to dry after each hunt, no snagging on anything and they leak? :scratch My son had the same issues with Rogers neoprenes. I have lots of clothing, boots, decoys, blinds, etc that have no issues and are 10+ years old. Why can waders not be made to last if properly taken care of?

captaininsano050

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
pair of Cabela’s breathable chest waders just before the season opened. Hunted them all season without issues... in fact, they were my first set of breathables and I really liked them. Fast forward to opening day a couple weeks ago and no sooner do I set foot in the pond to retrieve my first bird of the season than both boots start filling with water :mad: Turns out they had bot

Aquaseal. I like the Aquaseal UV. But if you are going to hunt you're going to have to repair waders once or twice a year. No way around it.

You probably could have even looked at that spot before hunting and seen that it would leak. It's a common spot.

mooseknuckle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I spray the boots with armor all before I put them away for the off season. Yes, I'm serious.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Aquaseal. I like the Aquaseal UV. But if you are going to hunt you're going to have to repair waders once or twice a year. No way around it.

You probably could have even looked at that spot before hunting and seen that it would leak. It's a common spot.
I’ve made my share of wader repairs, and I use Aquaseal, but these holes are pretty big. Might be worth a try anyways, could be entertaining! As to looking first, I obviously didn’t but will in the future. Guess I just trusted the year old boots.

To be clear, the failure point on my waders was only in the rubber boot portion. As far as I know, the breathable upper part is fine, although I never got more than knee deep. I’ll likely end up cutting the boots off and having a nice pair of boat bibs.