Wader woes

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you've been in waders for more than a few years, you know the crotch is the most common place relatively new waders fail. This is especially so with breathables because they don't stretch. Now, some of these failures are defects, and some are from stress from climbing in boats and similar movements, but I firmly believe the majority are from guys not being careful while putting them on and taking them off. Once I started taking a few extra seconds of care, I had far fewer leak problems.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Went thru a few pairs of the cabelas breathables over many years. Usually they,d start leaking at seams. Top of boot seam and crotch were usually culprits. Used a product to seal seams made for wetsuit repair and it worked good. Only boot failure I ever had with them was punchures from pointy sticks and a liberal patch of 5200 fixed that. Switched to the Rogers Breathables when Field Supply were closing them out few years ago but after couple years same seam leakage with same repairs. Just use them now for Blind work. Picked up Frog Togs 2.0,s summer 2018 and so far so good. Hunted them all season last year due to removable liners and have been using them this year several times. Figure I,m getting more use than the cabelas breathables as when I used them it was just early season before cold weather set in. Then I,d switch to Neophrenes Have a couple pairs of Lacrosses that have held up good in them. Oldest pair is probably 15 years old with only one boot punchure repair. Second pair I probably haven,t worn a couple dozen times as I bought them winter before the Frog Togs. Always rinse and spray boots with armor all after season and hang in dark area away from uv light. The throwing in a heap in the corner will definitely shorten life of all of them. Found that out years ago when waders were rubber and made by RED BALL. Showing my age now.

Bwana1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Banded pants waders from MPW. As hard as I tried, I could not get the boot on. Amazing.
Called MPW and they said it must be last years model. Had to talk them into taking them back.
Design defect.

BAYDOG

Global Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
If you've been in waders for more than a few years, you know the crotch is the most common place relatively new waders fail. This is especially so with breathables because they don't stretch. Now, some of these failures are defects, and some are from stress from climbing in boats and similar movements, but I firmly believe the majority are from guys not being careful while putting them on and taking them off. Once I started taking a few extra seconds of care, I had far fewer leak problems.

I suspect a bigger cause to be Fat azz's thinking they are no where as big and out of shape as they really are. Seams have no where to give. My buddy falls into that group.

denny

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with breathable waders and I hate that there is no forgiveness like the stretch of neoprene. Really i don't feel it's possible to make a pair of leakproof waders if you hunt hard. If all you do is walk from the truck down a flooded mud bank or field to the blind then I guess your very less likely to cause a leak but if your in and out of the boat. Jumping in and out. Kicking off sandbars. Pushing off mud flats. Getting to the spot / kneeling on all sorts of rough surfaces. Etc/etc then your gonna have water intrusion issues. It's gonna find a way in period.... Soooo when i get new waders out of the box I immediately aquaseal/ seal with any neoprene goo the stitches. Inside and outside seams on all my waders. Even if they are stitched and glued already. And as the season progresses I am constantly finding and fixing leak spots. After each trip my sweatpants tell me the where if a new spot arrises. . I can't fathom how a person expects they can return waders after they beat the heck out of them after a year and have a few minor leaks. Fix it yourself. Yes it's a pain . Yes it's a few extra dollars in aquaseal but it works. Now if they just fall apart or dryrot after 1 year then you got yourself a defective product but other than that you should fix it. And I also can't put my head around spending over 400;bucks on something I Kno I will puncture very quickly. I buy my 200 dollar pairs and maintain and get the time I think they should last. 3 years. 4 max if you hunt hard alot. That's theirtheir expectancy in my opinion. . If I get 3 years I'm happy.

Fowler267 RIP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Look at the LL Bean waders. They will take 'em back for a year for any reason (versus Cabela Pro Shop's 30 days) and longer if defective.

When I returned my Cabelas' breathable after one year for the same problem they traded them straight across for me (they 'd had maybe 15 days on them and were hung in my basement work room) they told me this pair would only be warranted for 90 days. Told them I'd see 'em in 89 days.

Cabelas was a lot more accommodating before they started 'making' their own stuff.

Last pair of LaCrosse breathable lasted 6 years of 20 days a year before they pooped the bed. I'll try Bean's or Sitkas next go 'round.

When I bought mine they claimed "Lifetime Guarantee"... Then they changed the terms. It ticked my hunting buddy off bad enough that he returned his for the refund. I kept mine to see how they do.

I have always Armor Alled my waders after the season and try to store them in plastic in the house.

Jandj

Reaction score
Made in America, comfortable boots and custom sizing. I’m happy with mine so far....

I talked with usia awhile back and they said they have 12 pair of breathable waders that they made last year out to people to try and if they get good feed back they may get into the breathable game.