Wads, shouldn't they be open?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Farm4wildlife, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Shot a few clays clays in the field yesterday evening. I didn't feel like I was shooting as good as normal. Picked these up after, these were probably 75+ yards from where I was standing while shooting.

IMG_20200106_171342094.jpg

The smaller ones are 28 ga fiocchi, the larger are 20 ga herter's.

I'm assuming this is going to affect the patterns. I haven't noticed this before while patterning a gun. The tabs on the wads are still in attached. I shot just a handful of my 12 ga sts reloads with figure 8 wads and they pulled apart as usual.

Guess I'll shoot some at a pattern board when I get the chance, just looking for input.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Won't affect patterns except to possibly (key word) delay its blossoming until a few feet further from the muzzle.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  3. Farm4wildlife

Maybe I was just looking for something to blame my poor shooting on.

Squaller likes this.
  4. Hellbender

Hellbender Elite Refuge Member

I've seen that with early generation steel. Never lead.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

It sure doesn't look like the orburation skirt was sealing properly or these were very soft loads ?
    I can't imagine a wad flying that far and performing correctly !

6. Farm4wildlife

That's what I thought. Wads we're almost hitting the clay and going way past it. Had a good idea where I was hitting. And I sure wasn't far off.

These were factory loads. Both guns were Berettas.

Temps were in the 40's. Nothing extreme.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Was there NOT shot still in the wads ? Something is fishy , I know wads without slits will go farther than most but your wads stitching is still intact ?
    I would be suspect that a Tapered wad was used in a Straightwalled case ? But , who am I to question what a factory would do ? :scratch:l

Maybe these weren't your wads ?

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Told this before, but....

As a youngster, Dad and I reloaded all our shells. My 20ga wads were not split. Don't know why, but I had to hand split them.

One day, a snipe went out, and we both shot, Dad first. He missed. When I fired, the snipe blew up like a bomb hit it. About 35 yards. When we found it, it was split almost in two, like it was hit by a sword.

Obviously, I missed splitting that wad.

The only wads that should be un-split (IMO) are the Black Cloud style wads, because they have flared ends to slow the wad down after it leaves the barrel.

9. Farm4wildlife

These were definitely my wads. I didn't see any shot still in the wads, but I find it hard to believe that a shot was can go that far with no lead in it. Seems like a wiffel ball to me.

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

The Federal FLITECONTROL wads don't have any petals and they will travel 40 to 60 yards or more it they don't hit the pattern board.
    [​IMG]IMG_1990 - Copy by , on Flickr