WAG Thread

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Side note: Now they have grouse season closed for the best 2 weeks of the season. Funny how grouse have been doing fine for the last 40. I swear the people setting ALL of the seasons hate bird hunters. Screwing public land hunters out of part of their season to give it to the good ol boys club with access to private land just wasn't enough. Now they add insult to injury. Then there is the problem with the early goose seasons. IMO these people are IDIOTS that hate hunters.

#FireKyle

Last edited:

Honkerclan08

Washington forum
Reaction score
Side note: Now they have grouse season closed for the best 2 weeks of the season. Funny how grouse have been doing fine for the last 40. I swear the people setting ALL of the seasons hate bird hunters. Screwing public land hunters out of part of their season to give it to the good ol boys club with access to private land just wasn't enough. Now they add insult to injury. Then there is the problem with the early goose seasons. IMO these people are IDIOTS that hate hunters.

#FireKyle
But they still gave us 14 days on the back end of the season so it’s the same time. I don’t see how this is a bad thing.

D3Smartie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Interesting conversations coming up after the poaching of an emperor goose here in Skagit on 12/5.

Many people seem to think there are loopholes in the regulations as emperor geese aren't listed but apparently waterfowl seasons are closed unless specifically opened.
Ducks have an aggregate limit whereas geese do not. Therefore you could shoot a vagrant duck and be OK.
Whether you'd get a ticket for what you shoot is up for debate and many people are getting different answers from LEOs...

Know what you're shooting before you pull the trigger!

sully

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw a post on Facebook with the picture, big surprise for him to realize it isn't open.
What a terrible temptation it would be for anyone though, pretty bird.

D3Smartie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw a post on Facebook with the picture, big surprise for him to realize it isn't open.
What a terrible temptation it would be for anyone though, pretty bird.
well goose season wasnt open period so i think a bad deal all around.

sully

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it.

Guzman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Referring to H20's comments & the graph that D3 posted...There is certainly a drastic increase of interest & increased pressure on WA seaducks in recent years. Sea ducks are long lived birds with low productive rates & data is starting to show populations & areas of concern. It is time for for WDFW & hunters to again make adjustments to the management of these birds so that we can continue to participate in this unique hunting resource into the future. Comments, concerns, ideas and suggestions from those of you on the 'Fuge and other platforms that participate in hunting the saltwater would be appreciated and encouraged... write or e-mail the WDFW waterfowl section or share here and we will share your comments to the WAG.

Good luck…. This has happened to a lot of our hunting. Look back at the large numbers of divers on the river and how those populations took a huge hit when everyone started hunting them.

When quality goose decoys and layouts came out harvest of geese skyrocketed. Limits and seasons on geese should have been dropped 15 years ago. Nothing changed. The population of wintering geese in Eastern Washington is probably 10% of what it was 20 years ago.

the state is way to slow to make changes.

Guzman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get that we can only have 107 day season on snows but this state should be very concerned about the exploding population. Our moses lake population is doubling every year which is insane growth. Not sure about burbank, and Patterson population but I know they are growing extremely fast.

sure it doesn’t fit some bios numbers for nesting population but growth that fast and the difficulty of harvesting them should be a red flag that we could have problems down the road. Crop deprivation? Effects on other waterfowl?

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get that we can only have 107 day season on snows but this state should be very concerned about the exploding population. Our moses lake population is doubling every year which is insane growth. Not sure about burbank, and Patterson population but I know they are growing extremely fast.

sure it doesn’t fit some bios numbers for nesting population but growth that fast and the difficulty of harvesting them should be a red flag that we could have problems down the road. Crop deprivation? Effects on other waterfowl?

Ben I think the state is aware about the snow geese population. Listening to Kyle about it, he wants them shot and as many as possible. His hands are tied a little with the season, so they are doing what they can. This year they upped the limit and allowed electronics. I’m not sure what else they can really do expect do an actual conversation season but that sounded like an almost impossible hill to climb.

Guzman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ben I think the state is aware about the snow geese population. Listening to Kyle about it, he wants them shot and as many as possible. His hands are tied a little with the season, so they are doing what they can. This year they upped the limit and allowed electronics. I’m not sure what else they can really do expect do an actual conversation season but that sounded like an almost impossible hill to climb.

I get it that it is an uphill battle. I personally think we have a problem brewing. It is beyond the wags power and states but I see it becoming a big problem.

Latest posts