WAG Thread

Guzman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That is good info Sully. I didn’t know it was out there. I would love to see that bio speak and hear what he has to say. Dux I would agree there isn’t an issue today.

my concern goes a lot with the graph. What I have seen coorilates with the draft. An exponential growth that almost seems to be doubling every year.

what if the population doubles every year for say 3-4 more years. It isn’t out of control today, but how many more times can it double? Maybe we could winter 5 million snow geese but how is it going to effect other things?

one problem is they are just so hard to control with hunting. Most species we could control with hunting or reduce. Snows it isn’t that easy. They are a tough bird to hunt.

maybe it is no big deal. Maybe it will be fine. I just have a convent that them doubling every year is going to be some big deal.

and for the record as of now they aren’t something that I benefit a lot from. Of all the goose hunts I have been on this year we have shot 2. I plan to put more focus on them but I am not wanting longer seasons for some person benefit as much as I have concerns that they could become a large problem.

sully

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have seen him a couple of times, very interesting. He usually has a slide show and you get an idea of Wrangle.
Polar bears were a bit of a hazard for him when he was living there.

So last year, 2020, there were almost 700,000 geese. I would assume the same kind of growth for 2021 so the must be at or over 900,000 this year possibly?

I have done a bunch of searching and reading on these birds and there are long exhausting studies out there.
The growth and spread of these birds appears inevitable.

Late season hunting is harder than early in my opinion. You can not have too many decoys, more is always better.

Guzman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have seen him a couple of times, very interesting. He usually has a slide show and you get an idea of Wrangle.
Polar bears were a bit of a hazard for him when he was living there.

So last year, 2020, there were almost 700,000 geese. I would assume the same kind of growth for 2021 so the must be at or over 900,000 this year possibly?

I have done a bunch of searching and reading on these birds and there are long exhausting studies out there.
The growth and spread of these birds appears inevitable.

Late season hunting is harder than early in my opinion. You can not have too many decoys, more is always better.

The biggest jump I have seen was this year. A lot of juvies. My guestament for moses lake was 20,000 last year and 50,000 this year.

yes spring is hard. A few things add to the challenge. One is the weather can be really nice around here. Snow geese on a nice 50 degree no wind day is tough. Canada geese can be a huge heahache too. Probably like the swans on the west side. They shy just far enough away but then attract all the snows.

sully

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have had with them late season is the huge flocks lead by older wiser birds. They teach the younger ones to stay close pretty well.

The boys that usually do the best later on are the ones who surround and walk in on them. Not my cup of tea.

Sometimes a big freeze or snow event will give opportunity to hunters also.

Honkerclan08

Washington forum
Reaction score
The Wrangle island snows are very adaptable to new environments it seems so they have been able to adapt to new environments so quick it seems and it seems them spreading out is helping the population grow. Hunting them 3 days a week probably won’t impact the population on the east side and land access is more challenging too. Plus decoying doesn’t help much on lowering the population. Back in the glory days of the skagit snows. Passing shooting shot a lot of adults and the ground pounding they took but overall I don’t think it did much damage on the population. Also I think they have had good weather during nesting. There were years where they had a horrible hatches due to weather and you could tell on those years. I wish we could see the duck populations doing what those snows are doing!

D3Smartie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
9 issues up for comment during this period. Please go review and make your voice heard.

H20OTTER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the items that are open to comments?

Action

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I read the waterfowl section and did not see any comments regarding snow geese. I have seen comments on this thread however there is no discussion open for public comment. I think we need this discussion to be added for next year since it's too late to incorporate into law, regulations for the 22-23 seasons.