Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Wanting a black duck

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by FriedPotatoes, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

I know this a longshot but here goes:

I live in the Charlottesville area but originally from Oklahoma. I typically take a decent amount of time off during the year to go home and hunt, so that’s where all my gear is. Being from Oklahoma, I’ve never even seen a black duck, much less shot one. If some kind soul reads this and is willing to help me get on one, I’d really appreciate it. If you’re ever out in Oklahoma, id be more than willing to return the favor. I do have some decoys here (duck and goose), so can contribute them to a hunt. I also have a hobby/side gig flocking and airbrushing decoys, so could compensate you with that. Lastly, I’m more than willing to help with constructing blinds, if desired. The duck hunting game is way different out here (much less land, and nobody wants to let you hunt private), and I miss all that goes into waterfowling.

2. JohnDiver

JohnDiver Senior Refuge Member

You should be able to kill one on any of the local streams or ponds near Charlottesville. Late December thru the end is the best time.

Ive got a stream 2 hours south of you that gets loaded with blacks late in the season. It’s gotta be float hunted though, no permission to be given by landowners. Usually kill a couple every trip though. Just a lot of work.

3. johnskipper41

johnskipper41 Refuge Member

I would be glad to help I live outside of ocean city md. I got a blind and that’s all we shoot there. Had a great season on them last year.

FriedPotatoes likes this.
  4. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

I looked online at public hunting spots near me, and there’s almost none, if actually none. And I don’t know any of the locals who may have ponds either, plus I’m willing to bet the average person here would be horrified if I asked them about hunting on their land.

5. Chesapeakefreak

Chesapeakefreak Senior Refuge Member

You’re so correct about that, in more ways than one! Sad.

6. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

How many doors have you knocked on? Don’t ask you don’t know. Thing is your not in a really good waterfowl area. You might have to travel a couple of hours to find ducks in Va.

7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Good advice bird junk, I have never hesitated to ask for permission. Fp,get you a decent boat,put a floating blind on it, read the waterfowl blind laws and go after them ducks. It'so simple...a cave man can do it(ha ha).

Farm4wildlife likes this.