Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Wapusk mentored Snow Goose hunt in Northern Manitoba

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Chris Benson, May 29, 2019.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I was fortunate enough to be invited to volunteer on a mentored Snow Goose hunt in Manitoba's Wapusk National Park. This park also is known for having the largest number of denning Polar Bears in the World and is located on the shores of Hudson Bay in Northern Manitoba. While we didn't see any Polar Bears, one group did spot a Barren Grounds Grizzle, so that was exciting! The hunt took place at an out-camp that is located about 70 miles from Churchill, Manitoba. There are no roads of any kind and we were flown into camp via helicopter.

The Hudson Bay lowlands is where a large percentage of North America's Snow Goose population comes to nest and raise their young. This area is by far the best place to shoot Snow Geese in the world. The entire mid-contentment population funnels directly through this area each spring and during the 2 week period they move through the area you will literally be shooting non-stop from sunrise to sunset. Up there, is no morning flight or evening flight, it lasts all day, a steady stream of geese by the hundreds of thousands.

The goal of the program was to teach the youth how to be safe, ethical hunters and harvest as many Snow Geese as possible to help save the negative impact they have on the fragile Tangia and Tundra landscape. The hunters would share these geese which among Churchill's Elders and used in a community feast.

20190519-DSC_9242.jpg 20190519-DSC_9272.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Chris Benson

20190519-DSC_9312.jpg

Neck Collar and JRS like this.
  3. Chris Benson

20190520-DSC_9379.jpg

4. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Still lots of snow up there. Looks like you had a great time plus some bling... Thanks for sharing, I am sure you have some memories that you will cherish forever.

5. Chris Benson

Yes, still fairly cold up there, just above freezing. It certainly is a couple days I will never forget.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I love Churchill. Just got back from Scotland, and I was surprised how much the peat bog areas of Scotland look like the lowlands around Churchill. The only difference is that Scotland has the heather and gorse , but the red grouse looked and acted kind of like our Ptarmigan in flight. Birds are still moving north through The Pas , so I imagine the spring hunt will be going on for a bit . Nice to see you are still volunteering as a mentor! I heard that you and Ryan had a little fun down by Whitewater Lake after the sporting clays shoot. Perhaps we can all get together this fall somewhere. Well done.

7. Chris Benson

Hey Bang,

I'm jealous about your trip to Scotland! Hopefully be going in 2020 however. From what I understand the spring snow goose lasts only about 10 - 14 days. I guess there is still some stragglers that move north but maybe not in huntable numbers. Yeah Ryan and I had a great time down at Whitewater! Good to get a few for the BBQ

8. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Very cool Chris thanks for sharing and volunteering your time. Not many folks get to see that part of the world.

9. Mallardchasin'fool

Mallardchasin'fool Elite Refuge Member

Kinda curious to know if the birds were banded close to where they were shot. Do you have any of the band information? Sounds like an awesome experience up there. Good for you helping out. That last picture belongs on the wall in a frame.

10. Chris Benson

The Snow Goose was banded in Wapusk in 2010 and was a AHY (After Hatch Year) bird by Robert (Rocky) Rockwell.