Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Washington Brant Hunters

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by sculler72, Apr 11, 2020.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

I dont have one handy. I mainly use a my burdick but the hayden came to me in a deal i couldnt pass up so i grabbed it. Way more room for 2 guys.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Nice job on the colors. By far the most accurate I have seen. :tu

3. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Elite Refuge Member

Nice D3. Looks like a good mix of Restle, burlap and foam.. Like to see the difference in how they hold up...
    I should have bought some from you for my quarantine down time...

4. Billy Bob

Just looked at my Y board with coro silos. They're looking a little rough so I need to get busy. Also noticed that on 1 batch of plywood silos the side color is off a bit, going to look at my mounts and try to mix up a good match.

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

I have a bunch of em if you need a project. Just burlapped some beat up 81s that need some love and a new paint job. function over fashion around here! Also have a bunch that need weights or keels put back on em. Let me know if you really want some.

6. WYtransplant

Brant Hunting WA has actually increased in access over the last few years in WA with increasing counties being added and then a really good change to have at least a guaranteed 2 day Skagit season vice wait till the day before to open or not off #s.
    Overall the biggest problem I have seen in the management strategy is lack of funding to properly execute the strategy with multiple flights across the peak season and also they are having to limit flight hours due to budget from what I have seen and heard. Only getting one flight day per season limits photography and diminishes the accuracy necessary to to properly execute and get reliable data to manage it the way they are trying to.
    A pretty good read on management strategy here and can see they are flying 1 day and covering 25% of the habitat area and then extrapolating it across 100% of the area. As we know as hunters a high wind day will move a lot of birds out of prime area. https://medium.com/@wdfw/2020-brant-hunting-skagit-county-d1a3fd0c6d60 also the overall management history and plan with better data here: https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/management/focal-species/BlackBrant.pdf
    Can see from the FWS link the Oregon #s are pretty low to start with. WA is further limited by the Western High Arctic (Gray Belly) sub-species controls as well. I have been submitting a requests to WAC and WDFW to allow a yearly Harvest (Brant Card) which allows for no more than 2 per day with a 4 or 6 Brant per season maximum outside of the main Skagit Gray Belly concern areas or pacific where they get a longer season already and open up to all counties in the WA flyway as well. I saw more Brant in counties without a season than I did in counties with a season.
    Does away with the cumbersome requirements now and could be a month long season to hunt and target during weather patterns later arrival, etc. Allows for more opportunity to hunt vice specific days and still controls the # of birds taken. I would much rather get more opportunity to hunt and limit to 4 or 6 per season then not hunt at all. Much like D3 I am spending way to much time and effort on building decoy rigs to not be able to hunt, and with the wind last year I didn't get out one time during the 3 day season :(

Attached Files:

7. WYtransplant

Might shoot you a text. Would like to add another dozen Brant to my rig so when I don't get to hunt again next year I have them in the garage taking up space. Ha ha. All my decoys are gunners as well. I like them to ride high and survive taking a pellet. Pretty decoys are for the hunters not the birds :)

Masterchiefmike and D3Smartie like this.
  8. Billy Bob

WYtransplant I really like all of the head positions. Where did you get that set?

9. WYtransplant

Homer Decoys for the bodies and the heads...

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

Hunting brant in WA is a lesson in patience, preparation and a little help from the weather and tides. Hunting is most often performed offshore as most of the more typical shoreline areas are private, flanked by homes or refuge. The open areas only get a small handful of hunting days (3 in our area) under the current season structure. It's a pain in the *** most days...yet often rewarding for an epic, history rich hunt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2020