Watched a buddy release the bolt while cleaning tonight

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawk, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if the gun slipped or he wasn't totally focused but he had the barrel off and the bolt back. All of a sudden you hear a loud thwack! And a gas piston bouncing on the floor. Somehow the bolt release button got pressed and the bolt slammed forward. You could see how sick to his stomach he felt. We looked the gun over and everything looked to be all right other than a small indentation where the bolt smacked the receiver.

Anyone else ever had the misfortune of seeing this or even doing it? I know the instruction manuals say it is a bad thing and could damage the receiver. What exactly could happen? His gun looked okay and hopefully it is so he can sleep at night. :(

2. Park Duck

Park Duck Banned

it's fine

3. tjones

tjones Senior Refuge Member

that's why you don't let West River fellers have anything other than a single shot....

4. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

Thats how I take mine out

5. FullandFuller

FullandFuller Elite Refuge Member

If the operating handle is still in, that smacking against the front of the loading port can't be good. The parts on the mag tube, pistons and seals, action sleeve etc, are probably fine. If was an 1100/1187 or other type with a rubber o-ring, that might well get torn.

Operating handle and your finger tips are probably the only real vulnerable parts.

I don't remember ever having a bolt locked back on an auto that I had the barrel off. I open the bolt halfway as the barrel comes out and ease the bolt forward until the operating handle hits the front of the loading port. As soon as the barrel is off, take out the handle and let the bolt forward for removal.