Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Water Separator

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

So, I hav a water separator on my mud motor and also on my inboard 20 footer. I was just looking on the Moeler WS website and noticed that it says " Not recommended for use with electric fuel pumps" . Dag Nabbit. Thats exactly the combination I have on my mud boat. I recently installed the electric fuel pump, ran it in the driveway and all seemed fine. (Idled) So, do any of you guys have experience of having an electric fuel pump and a water separator? What goes wrong?
    Thanks.

" It's ALWAYS something". :cry

2. fowl language

fowl language Senior Refuge Member

Yes I do. New Backwater 40HP longtail.(Greatest motor I have ever had). 2nd time out for teal season and the motor slowly died on the way out. Never thought about bad gas, plus I has a water separator.
    Limped back to the dock with a trolling motor. Had to take it 3 hours away to have it looked at. They found water in the gas and drained the lines and got it running again.
    I removed the separator and have not had an issue since.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

So the water separator gave you the water?

4. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

I've been running water separators with electric fuel pumps for 40 years on Outboards never had a problem. I've run them on race boats pleasure boats twin engine applications never had a problem. But yes if you have a big load of water in your fuel tank and the separator fills up with water you will get water into the motor, which is no different than not having a water separator. We always run the fuel through the filter then through the electric pump.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Hhhmmmmmm....you might ask Moeler why they make that recommendation.
    I sure can't think of a reason.

6. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Like Perf, I have run f/w separators for 40 years. They do not make water. Ran one on my race boat, never an issue, ran them on mud motors, lawn mowers, everything I won except vehicles.

7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I won't run a boat without one. If your too stupid to change it out once in a while, then you deserve to get broke down. Keep dirt and water out of your motor. Best think you can do for an engine.