Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Camo

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by TurkeyGuyPA, Feb 10, 2019.

1. TurkeyGuyPA

TurkeyGuyPA Refuge Member

I don't really know much about waterfowl specific camo. I have plenty of stuff for turkey and deer that I assume will be good if I'm hunting a tree line or flooded timber, but I feel like a smacked a*s when I'm in reeds, tall grass or corn.

What do you suggest as a good all purpose, but waterfowl specific, camo pattern?

If you have specific brands you like, please tell me! I'm looking for cost effectiveness as well.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Nobody can answer without knowing what your cover looks like. I hunt grass, so lighter tans and browns work for me. Even the Sitka Waterfowl camo looks good. IMO, the best pattern ever made, for any cover, is ASAT. It is large pattern camo, which helps to break up the outline from longer distances. Any of the camo that looks great in your hand (small pattern, leaves, blades of grass) will turn into a dark blob when viewed from a distance.
    [​IMG]

Camo does not matter (much) if you don't move. If you are moving, camo won't help much either. The best camo is not moving. Growing up, we wore dark tan canvas jackets, and Red Ball green waders.

Don't over think this.

BTW, the more 'hyped' a camo pattern is, the more it will cost.

JJVizinat likes this.
  3. TurkeyGuyPA

TurkeyGuyPA Refuge Member

Re: Hype. Trust me, I've been turkey hunting/archery hunting my whole life and own a few sitka products. I am violently familiar and have come to the same conclusions money wise and with an overly detailed pattern blobbing out (the exception is lighter patterns, of which I think the detail can hold up at distance or at least not blob so hard).

I am specifically looking for camo to blend in with reeds/tall grass/corn -- all very light. I have camo for the rest.

To put it in perspective: While I was blind hunting, I just wore my black jacket figuring if I didn't move, they wouldn't see anything, but when I was out of the blind, I felt too visible, even if a set was way off.

My primary concern is if I'm out adjusting something and a set comes in. I want to be able to feel confident hitting the deck.

My snow camo is a 3M white suit from home depot ($7)

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I can see a hunter walking around from a literal mile away. Ducks see better than I do.

Any of your turkey stuff will probably work.
    I like my Sitka in the grass..
    upload_2019-2-10_14-40-26.jpeg

[​IMG]
    Advantage Wetlands is very common.

[​IMG]
    Real Tree Max 4 is probably one of the most popular around.

[​IMG]
    Last, but not least, Mossy Oak Duck Blind works well in light cover

Take your pick. It isn't that important.

5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I always liked natgear for the trees then mossy oak shadow grass for the rest. Not sure why, but you never really see either much anymore. Now my all around is Max4.

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I like Natgear for hunting everything. From the spring turkey woods, to my treestand, to the duck marsh.

GK1 likes this.
  7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Fall flight is a great pattern if its still around

Dale likes this.
  8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

To be honest, I might wear camo 30% of the time hunting. Generally only if it’s brutal cold or raining as that’s what my gear for those conditions is in. Most times I’m wearing black or dark green with a waxed canvas vest. The bulk of waterfowl hunting is done in a blind of some sort so camo isn’t needed.

9. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If your hunting from a blind , you can pretty much get away with wearing whatever floats your boat .... Other hand if your hunting from a tule patch , DIY blind in the marsh or on a river in a boat .... Your better off in camo , I personally have a few different patterns I wear throughout the season to match closer to my environment .... When stuff is still green .. Shadow grass the 2nd version with lots of green , mid season hunting the rice .. Sitka Optifade marsh or Shadow Grass blades ..... Also wear Max 4 once in a while ....
    Always a good idea to blend with your environment , I know geese will pick out a layout blind if it doesn't closely match the field your hunting in ..... We are no different , the hide / us being well hidden is the 2nd most important thing to being a successful waterfowler ..... Number one ...be where they are !....
    Hunters need to learn that just because your wearing camo head to toe doesn't mean they won't see you .... Don't move or as little as possible while birds are working and keep Your head down .... As much as possible .....your face isn't camo ...they'll see you .... Wear a face net it helps ...

10. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

^^^ to the above

Here in OK I wear a lot of Max5 as it is a bit greener, but back in NE I’m wearing more Max4

Match your surroundings as best you can

HONKSRWORKN likes this.