Waterfowl Drawings - Potential Impact Due to Covid (Quick Draw?)

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Drakes Landing, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Wagonwheel

Wagonwheel New Member

Anyone who thinks open hunting is a good idea should be at pass for the teal opener. Just don’t think open hunt’n will work. that’s my .02

2. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Meh....go to Cheyenne Bottoms for the teal opener.....it makes GP look desolate. Everybody manages because everybody understands what it is.

Again.....do away with 75% of the parking lots, make the remaining 25% bigger and watch what happens. The workers and the non-workers will find a balance.

You know you can kill plenty of teal in the Missouri River if the big crowd bothers you, right?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Sunklands and feetdown71 like this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

You’re right most folks don’t want to do it, but Coon Island is very overcrowded. Wasn’t that way 15-20 years ago but it is and has been for quite some time. Whether there’s overcrowding in an area or not there’s areas on these CA’s, that aren’t gonna produce ducks. So, overcrowded in the CA as a whole or overcrowded in the unit the birds are wanting to use.
    I hate watching other folks hunt. If I can see them, they’re to close. I’m not a social hunter so showing up at a draw is not my deal but having someone interfering with my hunt(my standards, of course) could bring out the worst.

QakQak73 likes this.
  4. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

I literally just spit out my soda when I read the above post!
    “Personally doesn’t think your areas will be crowded”

Have you ever hunted a good pool at any of the MDC parks? If you open it up, don’t be fooled to think folks won’t camp out, prohibit others, sleep in campers, walk in at dark, squatters rights, whatever the heck you want to call it on a few selected holes that consistently harvest birds.

I’d love to hang out at ten mile pond at ... I won’t give it away but X Pool a see the “discussions” and the number of vehicles at that ramp or folks already in the pool awaiting before a certain time...

Smh !!

Now while I agree open hunting is an option, there also has to be systems in place to prohibit hunters from doing the above.

While there are so many opinions and arguments, nobody will ever be correct or have the perfect answer- I for one will continue to put in for my electronic draw every single evening; if I don’t get a top 5-7 pill; I’ll simply drive to my leased ground or my newly purchased duck hole and hunt.

There are now 4 things you should NOT discuss thanks to today’s society
    1) religion
    2) politics
    3) wearing of masks
    4) MDC / poor man draw/ open hunt.

I’m enjoying the popcorn reading this thread, that’s what it is enjoyment...
    Don’t be a Karen

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. BassNazi88

BassNazi88 Refuge Member

Yes I have actually and have been very successful. One thing that really caught my attention was the lack of people in the draw, I’m not Gonna mention the park but the duck numbers where pretty low, hence why I believe there was a lack of hunters. We still managed to do very well with bonus geese and specs. So have fun cleaning that soda up! Cause some of us only have public land to hunt and still go regardless, I believe that is 100 percent part of the problem. You can blame overcrowding all you want but publish 5k on the duck survey and you’ll find out who the real duck hunters are. Not these wanna be fools.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

So when you say, it’s been my experience... you mean one time at Duck Creek....

When you gain more experience at various duck parks, you will then fully understand the above comment about duck hunters that won’t respect the 200 yard rule. For that you will have to trust my VAST EXPERIENCE of hunting public for years and years drawing most mornings !

I’ve learned how to duck hunt on public land, whether there were 1k ducks or 100k ducks. Yet, I don’t come on here and make a blanket statement on my experience when in fact it was one time at band camp.

hunting1 likes this.
  7. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l :l

8. Mallet67

Mallet67 Senior Refuge Member

It needs to be open hunting. If it isnt this year you probably wont have any hunting at the CAs. Open hunting works at 4 rivers and it did last year at Leach so open it up and try.

captaininsano050 likes this.
  9. BassNazi88

BassNazi88 Refuge Member

I’ve never been to duck creek actually. I’m simply making conversation and throwing ideas out? Sorry not all of us can be the Karen of the waterfowl world like yourself. Sleep tight sunshine

10. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

This is why I continue to say to have the MDC should be enforcing their own rules instead of making crappy coffee and putting papers in numbered slots. Then