Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Hunting: Your Way

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwr353, Aug 8, 2021.

1. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

After following threads here, it is obvious that our experiences vary greatly. What is your typical hunt? If you care to share with others, how do y'all do it? Public, private,guided? Marsh, field, woods, or sea/bays? Boat blinds, pits, floating blinds, jump shooting? Geese, ducks, or mixed. Hunt local or travel? What makes this sport special to you? Dog work, calling, shooting, cooking, friendships? Newbie or old fossil like me? Let's make this fun and informative. Thanks to all.

2. Close Shot

Close Shot Senior Refuge Member

Private land: We row boat across a small and deep channel on a 10 acre lake and hunt from a ground blind. Don't even use waders most of the time, just knee boots. Our water is too deep to walk more than five fee out anyway.

Public land: 99% of the time I boat in and hunt from under some trees, never from the boat.

What makes it special is just watching the sunrise and the ducks landing and quacking before shooting hour. I like getting there very early and watching the morning begin and not rushing to get there right at LST. Friendships are also tops for me. It is always nice to reminisce with my hunting buddy after a great hunt.

I can't wait as we are getting close.

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Public: River, small Lakes & State F&WA's. I do once in awhile get an invite to a private Duck Club. I have a buddy who never understood why I like to get to an area & setup the sit there drink coffee 15-20 minutes before shooting time, I too like seeing the world come alive in the twilight. THAT is one of the best things I like about Turkey hunting also!

4. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I grew up jump shooting on our farm so there is always that. I learned about decoys and blinds and stuff here on this site. Then I realized guys were shooting divers (a big no no in Grandpas book) and started after them. About the same time a guy saw blood on on my shirt at a basketball game and invited me on a float trip for ducks and that fabulous float really fueled my passion. It's been almost 20 years of seriously chasing waterfowl and I enjoy all aspects of the sport.

5. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

The rods and cones in your eyes determine seeing black and white or in color. You can’t see in color until there is light, either artificial or sunlight. I like seeing things go from black and white to color. So I get there early. Duck and turkey. Yep.

ibfowl, Govey, Fogie and 1 other person like this.
  6. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Public, a huge lake, almost 4 million acre feet big. Boating in the dark, LOTS of stumps and plenty of boom scouters. If you have a good day shooting, you can pretty much count on someone being there the next day before you. I just refuse to get there at 2am to beat 'em anymore.
    I've hunted some private land sloughs with a friend the last few years but he lost that lease. That was fun.

waterswatter and ibfowl like this.
  7. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I am admittedly spoiled when it comes to geese. We field hunt Canada’s, sit inside the corn rows and set up the decoy spread in chopped corn or alfalfa.

For duck it depends. Always public ground. Mostly target divers after October 5th. But setups vary from layout boats, kayaks, or pontoon blinds. Need to be flexible, but always have a plan. Doing something different than the next guy and hiding just a little bit better than them makes a big difference.

8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I get up early make coffee then jump in the truck that was carefully prepared yesterday before dark. Sometimes I'm going to big water and I'll hunt on a cove or a point. Sometimes I've found a certain fallen tree I know ducks hide in.
    I might go to one of 5 lakes.
    Later in season I migrate south about 350 miles and hunt flooded green timber. The lake stuff is just to get the kinks out. Green timber is serious to me.
    Public always. I own a decent boat with a blind that stowes inside.
    I travel a lot.

What makes it special? Waterfowl hunting is the upper echelon of hunting. You start out on rabbits and work your way up usually. I did.
    A waterfowl hunter need to know a book full of regs. Has to orienteer in the dark. He has to know dozens of species, limits, what not to kill. Decoy placement and calling is a hobby within a hobby.
    There are layers of hobbies within the waterfowl hobby. To master waterfowling on any level requires lots of time and expense. Training a retriever for example.
    I take pride in that I do it all alone by myself up to 90 days a season. There can be only one highlander. :)

9. hotbeer

hotbeer Senior Refuge Member

Currently I hunt almost entirely private land. Stock ponds to managed wetlands/fields. I have traveled around and hunted public quite a bit but with a young kid having close access that I can get to quick and get back relatively quick gets me out more. I shoot primarily gadwalls and gw teal the last few years by record. I will add that I enjoy both getting there early and getting set up and settled and with a cup of coffee but some of the places we hunt I get there at 9:30/10:00 and shoot singles/pairs that are coming in to loaf.
    We hunt permanent blinds on some places, panels/Aframes on some and an occasional layout blind. Rarely target geese much as it requires more time than I can give it right now. We occasionally shoot some resident birds. Almost always bring 6 goose floaters.
    I enjoy all of it, the dogs, the calling, the friends that “get it” or appreciate it in the same ways that I do I guess.
    I really enjoy bringing a dog up to do it, watching them put it together and seeing that click is really enjoyable.
    The reasons that I classify a hunt as a “success” have evolved too. I damn sure want to shoot ducks but there’s a lot more to it than that as well. I have been after them every chance I get since I was around 20. As I think Grif on here said, if you made the season 1/1 I’m still going.

ibfowl and Aunt Betty like this.
  10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I will be 81 years old in a couple of weeks. The first time I went hunting
    was my senior year in high school. The infection was immediate and
    incurable. The key to hunting when one is old is to work at making it easy.
    Fortunately, that has become possible.

Having a well trained retriever is necessary.......three more months and it
    begins....again. :yes

Pounce's limit (2020)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]