Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Hunting: Your Way

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwr353, Aug 8, 2021.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Private. 8 X 16 pontoon blind. Wheeler up to the blind start breakfast and light the heater. Decoys already out. Son and grandson do the calling, I’m just there for the ride, they mostly shoot my limit. In past years my son and have freelanced in 9 states hunting almost 90 days a year. I wrote my own check and my son worked for me, so we could hunt a lot. We have always had Labs that were good and some not so good. This year I expect I’m going to be a fair weather Hunter, I don't do the cold like I used to, after the first hour I’ll head back to the cabin and start lunch and watch TV and listen for shots.

2. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

90% public land but I’ll kill them wherever I can find them. Boats, skiffs, canoes, walk in whatever best fits the situation. Natural hide is the best but I have panel blinds and layout blinds that we use if the hides not good. Mostly hunt water but I typically get in a few “dry” field hunts.

3. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

Good for you! I am 67. I have been a duck nut since around 14. This past season, I injured my left leg helping my old hunting partner clear downed trees on his land after a hurricane. Happened in Oct. Condition degenerated until I was experiencing paralysis on my left side. Found out I had stage 4 Colon cancer, spread to a brain tumor and a spot on one lung. I missed the entire season. Underwent 2 major surgeries in Dec, 2020. Thanks to God, my Oncologist says I am now cancer free except for a small spot on lung that is shrinking. Physical therapy since Feb. has me now walking with a walker and I am able to drive again. Looking forward to Teal season. I am able to ride to my pit blind and hunt. Like you I have a seasoned Lab to hunt with. To put it mildly, my perception of life and hunting has changed. To be able to experience more sunrises and maybe shoot a few birds again can not be overstated. Here's to a great season to all!

4. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

Sadly. I've become more of a goose hunter.
    I'd much rather hunt ducks and the dogs have all preferred ducks over retrieving geese.
    We usually walk in , but we once again we have a boat blind , just need enough water to get it into the cover.
    We hunt a mix of public and private . The public is either a large flood control reservoir or smaller wetlands on mostly county ground.
    Private is anything from a river or creek , sheetwater, ponds and fields.
    The geese are a mix of a couple loafing ponds and mostly dry feild .
    I never travel more than a hour .
    Ducks run the usual puddler range , just don't get the good mallard beat downs like we used to though. Divers are rarely shot and never targeted.
    The geese are all Canada's, except we've shot specks the last 3 years, before that they were only heard a mile high.
    I can't walk and carry like I used to , so probably the reason for more goose hunting. I can drive out unload and one of the younger guys will take my truck back while I start setting up.

It is interesting to hear others experiences, wish I'd have taken advantage of some opportunities when I was younger to see some different things.
    Hunting green timber, a Louisiana marsh, the Chesapeake bay and those spring flows in Montana with a foot of snow were all places I dreamed about going to.

5. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

Good for you !!
    Go get them .

ibfowl likes this.
  6. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

private, leased, cut rice or fallow or flooded fields
    EZ walk-in for ducks
    some geese, snows specks or lessers

waterswatter, WHUP ! Hen and ibfowl like this.
  7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My hunting buddy has been going through treatment for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma & has a hard time staying warm, so we too pick & choose our days. EXCEPT when we get invites to the Duck Club up north.

8. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks. I was blessed to be able to hunt waterfowl in Wyoming, Texas, Wisconsin, and Canada. In La I grew up shooting Wood Ducks in the Atchafalaya Basin. Met a guy in college from the coast whose family had a few hundred acres of prime fresh water marsh( in 1972). We are still hunting together on occasion. In our youth we killed numbers of ducks that seem unreal today. I have primarily hunted private lands most of my life. Got spoiled hunting rice fields and gradually transitioned away from the marsh. My current lease is 8 miles from my home. The possibility of duck hunting again was the driving motivator of my continuing recovery. Limits do not seem so important now. I could go just to watch my Lab do what she was born to do.

9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Came up as a squirrel & deer hunter. Did get in a few goose and duck hunts with my father but he had mainly turned to deer hunting by the time I was in my teens. Got serious on the ducks & geese in early twentys and have never slowed down. Boats & blinds galore and hunt everything from private to public if I think the dog can get a retrieve. Oh and I took up retriever & birddog training in mid twentys. Have had some great dogs over the years. Sadly land to hunt coveys on are all tied up in deer leases in my area now so haven,t ran a birddog in last 20 years. Love to watch the world wakeup like a lot of you and watch that first Woodie or Blk. Duck come in feet down right at legal shooting hrs. For a lot of years work got in the way of hunting the best weather but since retirement at 55 11 years ago I,ve made up for the bad (good) weather days I missed because of work obligations. Absolutely love to hunt in a snow squaw. Missed that for 36 years because of work. Seasons start right around the corner starting with doves and geese for me on Sept.1,st. Can,t wait!

10. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

100% free and unregulated public, a WMA up North for the opener and a variety of divers. Then closer to home the rest of the season, live in my trailer by a 9 mile stretch of river that is pretty much ours alone....didn't hear a hunting shot last year that wasn't from our camp, typically just her and I most days. Mallards, widgeon, gads, pins and teal, almost exclusively. Pass shooting.

Walk out of camp and down to the river every morning, stepping out of the cedar and onto the bottom is the best part of the hunting day imo.

I don't own a duck or goose call and the only dekes we see are put out by her or my buddies, somehow I usually have to pick them up. They stay on the bottom all season and floods take them every few years.

We come up around 11:00 and she makes breakfast while I binocular/scope the river and plan jumps, maybe blow a quail call to see if there are any around for a quick bust.

Spotting, scheming and jumping birds the rest of the day if any are sitting, kicking it in the warm sunshine if they aren't.

I cook on wood for dinner while she handles stove/oven duty in the lil' trailer. Afterward we will sometimes drive across the highway and up into the mountains, varmint hunt with the red light..we mostly sit around with the dog while sipping rye and listening to oldies on KJUL FM with the Grundig she bought me.

The next day the same routine, 30CB7D7B-A9CA-4888-8AF8-F71EC7772BF1.jpeg 530B0958-EA84-4310-B9F3-43C25DEEF77A.jpeg 90DE2506-E452-4248-8E2C-5A693712E5F1.jpeg 789C49D3-B93A-4DB7-BF25-CB7639214212.jpeg 073D41E1-0C1B-46CF-81A2-D18F3AD7147E.jpeg ......from Thanksgiving to New Years Day. It becomes tough to remember what happened when after a bit, the indicator of true relaxation for me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021