Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Hunting: Your Way

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwr353, Aug 8, 2021.

1. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Last year was walk-in public for me. Sometimes a long ways. As a result (and the dearth of “big ducks”) it was almost exclusively pass- and jump-shooting. But on those few occasions I had enough time to make long treks off the lake hauling decoys and setting them off the bank, we’d have divers hover in unannounced. Flared a pair of cans coming in because my buddy was standing up glassing and upon realizing they were coming, tried to duck back into cover, and the second time I somehow shot under, then behind a little bufflehead. Those experiences, on the downwind side of the lake that day, got me craving more than just pass-shooting.

This season having a boat will redefine possibilities for me. Can’t wait to really begin hunting with dekes and calling. Going to be fun figuring out what “my way” is.

waterswatter, ibfowl and hotbeer like this.
  2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Treasure that.

3. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

Wilco, it doesn't get any better anywhere afaic..a blessing for sure

WHUP ! Hen, hotbeer and Mean Gene like this.
  4. pluffmud

pluffmud Senior Refuge Member

Jesus sure is good.

dog duck gun, dwr353 and Fogie like this.
  5. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Hard to pin down a 'typical' hunt, except all NC public land/water. Drive time ranges from 1.5 to 5 hours each way. Walks vary from a few hundred yards to a couple miles each way. Boat rides vary from a couple hundred yards to 10-12 miles (boats include a Creek boat, Gheenoe, 20' skiff and a layout). Habitat includes inland lakes, rivers, marshes, impoundments and coastal sounds. Seldom hunt from a blind, usually hide in the grass, stand beside a tree or lay down on the bank with my feet in the water. Most days/places don't expect to fire the gun, usually happy to just see a duck. Once or twice a year I get a lottery draw to a spot where there are traditionally ducks and I usually manage to kill a few on those days.
    Still, every time I head out, I'm hopeful for that one flock of birds that commits to the decoys.

6. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Hunt the same stationary blinds we have had for the last forty years. Mostly the same guys in the group. Hunt both salt and fresh waters in Marsh blinds and big deep water blinds. Some private and some public properties. Drive times can be 15 minutes to hour and a half depending on what blind and where the birds are. Try to hunt every day but Christmas. All on Chesapeake Bay Western Shore tributaries.

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Redbeard...one of the CHIPS told the best stories about his adventures hunting from a skull boat he'd restored out in California.
    Too bad he's not here

8. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

You are blessed!

Fogie likes this.
  9. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

..and haven't cleaned a bird in five years

Stormer, pluffmud and dwr353 like this.
  10. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

100% public unless we get a good rain with sheet water to where I can venture on to private ag fields. I use a carstens pintail and paddle my way to where I’m going. Then it’s hunkering down against a hardwood timber line or a clump of willows. Will leave the flooded out corn to the young guns on the bikes. I’d prefer to shoot over millet and smartweed