Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Hunting: Your Way

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwr353, Aug 8, 2021.

1. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

My swamp days with a rare French Duck!

Attached Files:

ibfowl and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. ibfowl

ibfowl Elite Refuge Member

Your chair is awesome, I need one that has wheels, so I can spin in the blind. Unfortunately our birds don't always come in from one direction on no wind days. So we need to be able to track them 360* and lock on when they are at their closest point. Where did you find your chair?

Looks like you guys have a great set up, the thing about having problems to overcome get super real when you see what others in worse shape are dealing with. Good on you guys for getting your buddy in the chair out in the field. You have no idea how therapeutic that is for his mental well being, you are a great friend.:yes:tu:tu:tu

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. dwr353

4. dwr353

1CB6860D-0046-410B-A9AD-DF5B143818E4.JPG

Timber Hole, Mort, WHUP ! Hen and 4 others like this.
  5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

Private for me. It ain’t much but it’s mine and the seat is empty every time I get there. The blinds are small, just right for two hunters and a dog. I’ve said it before but the biggest problem I have is that my dog requires 1/2 of my cinnamon roll as payment for her mornings work!

marshmob, ibfowl, Mort and 6 others like this.
  6. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

Private: grew up in E WA with family owned property to hunt. The marsh has evolved over the years into a lake; where 10ft square enders used to do the trick it now takes a minimum 14 ft boat with high gunnels and a decent motor to be safe in any wind. With that the habitat has changed also, many of the old holes are gone but a few new ones seem to open up. You just have to find them, which is tougher on the older guys used to just going to “X” tomorrow morning. “X” doesn’t exist anymore! There’s a little two room cabin with a fireplace and oven, some great fires and meals have been had there and every trip is fun even when there are no ducks.

Public: I learned about hunting public when I moved to MT nearly 20 years ago. Until this season it’s been all walk in refuges and setting up on creek banks for me. New boat this year so I’m looking forward to exploring some reservoirs before they freeze up. Western MT is on the fringe of the Pacific flyway, to be generous about it, and we do typically freeze early here. Luckily I’ve got good places to hunt within half an hour of home. I often get out for a morning and clean birds in my driveway in the afternoon. It’s fun, but it’s not the same as duck camp and never will be. What’s best though is the season here starts two weeks earlier than in WA, so I get an extra long Pacific Flyway season :D

Squaller, ibfowl, Mort and 3 others like this.
  7. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

I grew up hunting Maryland E.S.
    Moved to CA 4 years ago hunting 100% public out of a kayak old dog was to feeble to hunt although we did go out to " hunt " which was sitting in the sunshine watching Humboldt Bay Scullers shoot birds.

I have a new pup this year and all my decoys from Maryland ( custom flocked magnums from Don Minz) and my sports pal canoe, xlander blinds, 870,BPS, floating goose decoys, 8 dozen. Real geese are arriving Thursday.

Hopefully East meets West will. = a good season.

hotbeer, markd, Mort and 5 others like this.
  8. dwr353

I hope you get to experience some good hunts in your new location. Change can be good for you. With dry conditions in much of the West, I can imagine there will be challenges ahead for many hunters. It can also create opportunities for those who can adapt and be mobile.

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My way is to spend about half my allotted hunting time SCOUTING.
    I hunt until around 9:30 and then scout until it's time to get off the wma. I scout and imitate what I see where I saw it. I do some highly unusual tactics based on scouting and ...

Last year I filled up my coolers twice in a year where everyone what literally bawling their brains out crying for someone to do something.
    Need evidence? Plz don't ask it will hurt feelings.

10. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

85% of the time my hunts are Public coastal estuaries. Normally hunt high tide, whether that's at 7am or 3pm.
    Look at tide book, determine the days high size/time, then launch 2 1/2 hours before high tide. Depending on size of tide, I know exactly how far in the marsh it will push. I get to a stump that will hold knee deep water about 2 hours before/after high tide. Thank goodness for 100's of logs/stumps to choose from.
    I hide behind these type of logs and all that grass was knee deep at high.
    5A21D1D8-0D09-43DA-9694-90EF850DD9E2.jpeg 1DD346A1-4E40-4BC3-9674-E1F7E117AD91.jpeg