Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Migration Videos

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 2, 2020.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Pretty amazing to see the migration of waterfowl in different areas. How many of you have had the opportunity to see this in person? I've witnessed this a few times with snows and specks.

Out of focus likes this.
  2. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Never witnessed a waterfowl migration, but see the miles of Franklin gulls every February headed north over the Mississippi River. Has to be hundreds of thousands.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

We see a lot of starling migrations, but not on this scale. Even the smaller flocks of several hundred are impressive.

Out of focus likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Sometimes, late Oct, early Nov, I am lucky enough to be sitting in the blind when the snows come through the valley. Flight after flight of between 50 and 1500 flying so high you can barely see them. But, being snows, you can hear them.

Also, some times at night, I can hear the swans and snows flying over the house. They kinda get stuck in the valley in bad weather or darkness, since there is a narrow pass they need to fly over to get on down to Idaho.

One year, they got stuck in the valley I hunt by low clouds. When I got out of the truck, the sound of snows was almost deafening. They were 300 yards away, and covered the river. When I got there, the water was literally white from shore to shore. That was a fun morning.

Out of focus likes this.
  5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

First migration, of much magnitude I usually witness In the fall, is the specks. Usually in the front end of October. Very seldom see large amounts of BWT, as they tend to migrate at night. I would really like to witness our vast numbers of coots migrate.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Seen huge flights or groups of a number of bird. As a kid many falls we would see the high flying Canad flock mixed with ducks , 5-20 K in an housrNW Minnesota mallards , maybe 25 k on two different fields.
    A number of fields around her at one time 25 K geese
    Utah was maybe the most impressive sight I have no idea how many birds but one spring driving out on the Bear River Marsh for miles the only horizon was ducks in the sky.
    Every fall I get to hear and often not see them the sandhills and tundra swans fly over my place
    Most years huge rafts of different ducks on a local reservoir, here one day gone the next

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I swear they walk all the way from Canada. I've heard the old timers say the would swim down the coast in big rafts and walk across the dunes when they got here.

Closest thing to a migration I've seen when I was younger was every year when the conditions were right the swan and snow geese would come down. Mid November-ish. Seemed like we were always deer hunting and you could see/hear them all day long, bunch after bunch. Haven't seen that in s long time. I guess the flyway has shifted.

Sunklands likes this.
  8. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I live on the Bluffs of the Mississippi....I see migrations of geese, ducks, pelicans, eagles, and every shore bird.....always good to mark the years passing.

WHUP ! Hen and ARHHH4 like this.
  9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I miss the migration over northwest Indiana as a kid,but have since hunted Canada and Maryland in its prime and have seen as million geese many times.

10. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

I remember in 15’ or 16’ the day the second split opened (NLA) , it was already pretty cold, and we had a big front coming as the day was going on. I remember looking up and seeing thousands of mallards moving south. It sticks out in my mind Bc that’s the last time I saw it happen.

The biggest was the snows I used to see around central LA every yr as a kid (mid 90’s) going to my grandpa’s. I haven’t seen them there in those numbers in awhile.