Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

We are a bunch of Sissies, compared to the WWII generation. We need to wake up.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Mallard Machete, May 5, 2019.

1. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

That was a great movie, btw.

goosenazi and RTIC like this.
  2. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

The men and women I serve(d) with are some of the best. Because our society today is different you call us wusses. I beg to differ. I've done two tours Somalia, one in Iraq, three in Afghanistan, oh and BTW I'm going back this summer. Yep I'll miss another hunting season. Yep just being a lazy wuss.
    My wife will be staying home. Oh yeah so will my oldest son. He got hurt in Iraq. He lives at home while the VA puts him back together. He can walk and talk now. Yep I guess he's a wuss too.
    Sorry we didn't serve OUR country during WW2. I guess we'd be tougher. Sorry to let you down.
    You might say I take your initial post a bit personally. Maybe I'm just touchy.

MJ1657, widgeon, Mort and 7 others like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't think he was even remotely referring to you or guys like you. You're the exception, especially in today's culture.

Thank you for your service!

4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Agreed, he was referring to today’s society not today’s military.

widgeon likes this.
  5. Matagorda Bound

Matagorda Bound Senior Refuge Member

Everything in this god danned country started to go down hill with all those child labor laws. Up until 1919 you could send your kids out to earn a few cents a week for your household. Make them earn their keep instead of just freeloading all the time.

And anybody who's eaten as many crayons as I have knows that you get out of it what you put into it and if kids can just get by with going to school and doing a few chores around the house and volunteering only once a week down at the parish, then you know they will.

6. Old Carver

Just frustrated. Me, my daughter, both my sons all volunteered. I spent 20+++ years in the military. I'm still DoD and yes DoD folks deploy too.
    Built my own home and greenhouses. We grow big gardens near the arctic circle. I've served with alot of soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines. We all volunteered. Not drafted.
    It is a different era. Our country is different but I sure hear alot of folks who support or military and that is a huge change from the reception our folks got after Vietnam. I think the public respects our military far more than they do their politicians. An interesting shift in our society.

7. 1911king

1911king Elite Refuge Member

Your last name Bennett? That’s exactly the story my grandpa told me way back. His plow horse up and decided it didn’t want to work on morning. He said the swift kick didn’t make the horse run fast so he dropped him with a solid right. Horse sure got the picture after that. Not much longer after this him and his brother shipped out heading for Normandy.

8. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

What would they think of a online forum needing to moderated cuz other hunters maybe offended?

Or the ignore button :) :l :l

callinfowl likes this.
  9. Old Carver

Smiles. Thanks. Ignore button was probably the best option.
    It's a hunting forum. Not looking forward to missing this season. Sad sigh.

10. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

That is the truth!!!
    I knew a few WWI guys and a lot of WWII and Korea fellows. Most were pretty fine fellows, others were total [email protected]$$es and their military experience had nothing to do with it. They couldn't stay in today's military.
    We sent a lot of fine youngsters to Viet Nam to do a tough, poorly defined job. It galls me to no end even today that they got treated like dirt when they came home.
    I'm with you. My oldest just finished a hitch in the army. He and his peers are top notch; they are so far and away better soldiers, person for person, than earlier in our history, it just blows me away!
    I read that HALF of our military-age kids don't even qualify for military service. Mostly because they are too fat, I realize, but it does say a lot about who, for the most part, goes in

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    goosenazi and widgeon like this.