Weather and water

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by mudderfodder, Mar 31, 2015.

1. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

I think I must be the only person in the state who hates the recent weather. Are there any waterfowl hunters out there who are with me? I hear people say it's such beautiful weather and I say I wish it were raining or snowing and they look at me like I'm crazy. I just think of the waterfowl hunting and the fishing and think things are going to suck if we don't get a change. This year the GSL will likely hit a record low. At this rate the marshes will be low on water. The only thing that saved us last year was the heavy rains in September. What are the odds of that happening again?

I started to look at weather data to see what has been going on in recent years. Things really seemed to change beginning in about 2002. I looked at the months in each year to see how many months in which precipitation was low. My figures are not 100 percent perfect. These are approximate but darn close. Since 2002 we have had three wet years. An incredible 111 out of 160 months have had lower than average precip. Throw out the three wet years and it is 96 out of 124 (even in the "wet" years 15 out of 36 months were below average). That's scary. Hopefully the pattern will change soon but we are otherwise screwed. The current water year is already below 50 percent of normal and the long range forecast shows no big changes. This weather sucks.

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

The weather has been dismal. Talked with a farmer today and he said he was afraid to plant his corn. Its bleak, real bleak!

this ought to brighten your day. I posted this up on a different forum.

behold the GSL Killer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the proposal to dam the mighty bear river. Dont worry, you can keep watering your lawn while the lake dries up to nothing....:mad:

3. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

At a time when dams are coming down across the west, they want to add a new one on the Bear.

We are in for some tough times, gents. Major changes to things as we know it are right around the corner.

4. flankfeather

flankfeather Senior Refuge Member

Aw man, what now? I'm intrigued, even though I don't always stay up on current conservation events-

5. cnegeese801

cnegeese801 Senior Refuge Member

I will say this. They said our population is going to double in the next 25 years or so. It really makes me wonder what will happen to duck hunting in the state. With so many more hunters and less and less public and private lands. What's going to happen. I sure wish we would have another flood like in 1983 84 there was so many places to go. I loved it and I was like 14 then but I sure remember all along the gsl was good places to go.

6. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

Just wait until the forest fires start, the water moisture in the ground is gone so any moisture we get will be sucked up right away. It will take a lot more irrigation to get the soil content back.

7. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Dry weather and water diversions are tough on our wetlands...what's left of them. For some reason, our water conservancy districts feel that the only way they can stay in the game is to ask for BILLIONS of our tax money to build more dams and pipelines. For some reason, many of our legislators believe them...that is a recipe for wetland disaster.
    R

8. Ben Elli

Ben Elli Elite Refuge Member

As the population grows we are going to be in big trouble with water. I think very soon we will no longer have access to "weber water" for our irrigation and lawn watering, it will all be used for culinary purposes. Just look around you, with all the building going on, especially all those apartments ya see going up, where do ya think all these folks are going to get their water? I think soon we'll all be re-landscaping for ultra low water use or we'll all just have brown yards full of dead grass. Worst of all for us hunters is the ducks will have no reason to stop in the great basin and with no water reaching the GSL and surrounding marshes, airboats will be useless!